If Windows went open source....

Story: What If Windows Went Open Source?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
cjcox

Aug 29, 2006
8:07 AM EDT
I'd have to buy more durable screens and windows (unintential pun) so that the pigs wouldn't crash through into my house!

NoDough

Aug 29, 2006
8:45 AM EDT
>Please understand. I would never use a Microsoft produced Linux distribution myself. However, I would be very happy to reap the benefits of them getting involved any day of the week. My reasoning is simple - Linux is an operating system, a tool if you like. So rather than treating this as a belief system, maybe all of us need to start looking at this for what it is - a tool to get tasks done.<

The author completely misses the point. Access to the source code is only a small part of the strength of FLOSS. Its real value comes from the license, which is the one thing that Microsoft will never give up control of.
jimf

Aug 29, 2006
8:52 AM EDT
cjcox,

Copyright 'screens' right now. Otherwise I bet it will be the name of the new MS AV ;-)...
Libervis

Aug 29, 2006
5:47 PM EDT
Indeed NoDough.

The real biggest strenght, benefit and difference of GNU/Linux as compared to Windows is not in the technical architecture of the it as an operating system, but the license and the freedom that it offers.

And that cause is apparently larger than this one Free OS itself. The real battle here is not between Windows and GNU/Linux, but between proprietary software and Free Software. GNU/Linux and Windows just happen to be the sort of flag bearers of the two.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!