running ff-2.0b2 now

Story: Firefox 2.0 beta 2 boasts enhanced look, featuresTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
herzeleid

Aug 31, 2006
7:50 PM EDT
I just downloaded it and am running it on SuSE 10.0. ff-2.0b2 is noticeably snappier than 1.5.0 and even 2.0b1. No downside that I've seen so far .

Now, if it can survive myspace without crashing I'll be really impressed...
nalf38

Sep 01, 2006
2:10 PM EDT
Yeah, mine auto-updated itself this morning and is visibly faster at page-loading then even Beta 1. I did a double-take. Kudos. This is a huge improvement over the last beta.

Everything seems faster: new tab creation, tab closing, page loading, etc. Anyone else using 2.0b2? I want to know if this is for real or if I'm on crack.
herzeleid

Sep 01, 2006
7:01 PM EDT
It's for real. I've been visiting pages and doing things on sites that would quickly lock up firefox 1.5.0.x every time (myspace, anyone?) and ff-2.0b just keeps on trucking. I like it, it's already much more stable than ff-1.5 for my needs.
sxf

Sep 02, 2006
2:38 PM EDT
@nalf38

You mean that the auto-update feature now works for Linux too?!

That would be huge!
herzeleid

Sep 02, 2006
4:18 PM EDT
What do you mean, "linux too"? AFAIK the ability to auto-update firefox was not missing from the linux version. It's just that linux won't let an arbitrary user alter system files. It will however gladly allow auto-update to be done done by if the permissions & ownership are kosher.

Then again, he may have been talking about a linux-style update, (yast, apt, yum etc) which updates any and all applicable packages on the system, regardless of whether the package itself has any such update capability...
nalf38

Sep 03, 2006
4:46 PM EDT
I installed firefox beta 1 into my home directory, since I wasn't sure if it would be any good to install system wide, so the update worked perfectly fine because it wasn't installed into /opt or /usr/local, where my joe-user login doesn't have write permissions.
herzeleid

Sep 03, 2006
4:54 PM EDT
Ah, I see - I still have the suse-supplied ff 1.5 package installed, but installed the ff-2.0b2 into /usr/local/firefox, so there is no clash whatsoever as the file locations are different.

I chowned /usr/local/firefox to my userid, since I'm the only user of ff-2.0beta on this box, and that makes the updates appear to just work.

I can go back and forth between the 2 browsers with no problem, and that helps highlight the stark differences between the two.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!