Feedback on this?

Story: PCLinuxOS Magazine September 2006 Initial Issue Release!Total Replies: 17
Author Content
devnet

Sep 02, 2006
8:26 AM EDT
Anyone taken a look at this? I'd like to know what Lxer readers think of the magazine. This effort ramped up in around a month and a half and the team of editors are made up of members from many different countries...it was quite an experience to see them come together and create this thing. But they're all PCLinuxOS community members and since the magazine is written from a 'thinking of using or using PCLinuxOS' standpoint, I'd like to see what you all thought.

Anyone?
jimf

Sep 02, 2006
9:48 AM EDT
First I have to say that I would use and recommend any deb based Linux over PCLOS. Sorry, but, that's just what I find best. If Debian apt didn't exist, then, PCLOS would be near the top of my list, but, I don't see Debian going away soon.

Secondly, I'm not much of a fan of the PDF news magazine format. I just don't see that it's anything that wouldn't be better in a live website format. I suppose I might feel differently if I didn't have broadband, but, that's about the only exception I can think of.

That said, I think the magazine is a first class act, with enough general Linux information to at least hold my attention. Obviously people have put a lot of time, effort, and attention to detail into this. I'm sure that it's going to be a plus for the advancement of the PCLOS community.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 02, 2006
11:05 AM EDT
I think the magazine is great! I may be easier to please than jimf but I agree that the presentation is slick and the quality of writing is top notch.

I am not a PCLinuxOS user but it is only because I do not actually use it. I currently use SuSE but that does not predicate the magazine's value being diminished as a result.

To be honest I am much more likely to try it out now that I have read several articles relating to it. Knowing that the people who support it are willing to take the time to create an informative and entertaining periodical speaks volumes.

I also want to say that your article on forum elitism was SPOT ON! I could not agree more, you still can't go to prom with me though. :-)

I wish you and those involved with the Magazine all the best. I plan on giving it a test run soon so I can see for myself what it is all about. Keep doing what your doing, I think that you will find people coming out of the woodwork to contribute to it.
tuxchick2

Sep 02, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
Very impressive! I didn't know you could hyperlink PDFs- tres cool.

It would also be nice to have an HTML version.

off-topic question here- is PCLinuxOS a Red Hat derivative?
jimf

Sep 02, 2006
11:44 AM EDT
Scott, IMO, PCLOS is a much better desktop than SuSe, at least for the home user.

> It would also be nice to have an HTML version.

Definitely agree.

PCLinuxOS is a Mandrake/Mandriva derivative.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 02, 2006
2:26 PM EDT
>Scott, IMO, PCLOS is a much better desktop than SuSe, at least for the home user.<

I'll bet bucks to dollars that you are right. I had to hack a bunch of things in order to get SuSE to do all the things I want it too. It sounds like PCLinuxOS does not require that.

I did not know that it was related to Mandriva either, cool.
robntina

Sep 02, 2006
3:01 PM EDT
"First I have to say that I would use and recommend any deb based Linux over PCLOS. Sorry, but, that's just what I find best. If Debian apt didn't exist, then, PCLOS would be near the top of my list, but, I don't see Debian going away soon."

I use PCLinuxOS. It is based on Mandrake/Red Hat but it uses apt for package management. Synaptic is also used by default as the frontend to apt if you prefer a GUI interface.

apt-get install whateveryouwant you will feel right at home (you'll have the apt thing down in any case).
jimf

Sep 02, 2006
3:22 PM EDT
robntina,

Talk to devnet about this old Debian user before you proselytize about PCLOS to me :). I'll argue the benefits of Debian for the experienced user over any rpm based Distro, any day of the week. Catch me on IRC ( Server: irc.oftc.net Channel: #debcentral Nick: R0nin) if you really want to persue that :D
devnet

Sep 02, 2006
7:48 PM EDT
Jimf is as hardheaded as he is trustworthy and true. Which is really infuriating most of the time :p

Quoting:It would also be nice to have an HTML version.

That's a good idea that's already been pitched. We're working on getting that site together for issue 2 or 3 depending on how fast we can scramble :P

Thanks for all the feedback everyone...it's good to know the magazine struck a pleasing chord :)

BTW, we passed 2,000 downloads today. That's not counting the 3 mirrors created by users AND the fact that you can apt-get pclinuxmag and have it fresh and on your desktop if using PCLinuxOS. :)
robntina

Sep 02, 2006
7:56 PM EDT
"Talk to devnet about this old Debian user before you proselytize about PCLOS to me :)."

Proselytize you? No, I only wish to point out that apt is not the thing that is different as they both use it. You may not have known that PCLOS also uses apt. If you did others may not have. rpm vs deb is another matter.

"I'll argue the benefits of Debian for the experienced user over any rpm based Distro, any day of the week."

It would be interesting to hear what you have to say. I'll try to catch you on IRC sometime. I like Debian a lot too though so there is nothing really to argue.

In any case I thought the magazine was interesting, whatever you happen to use.

trobins2006

Sep 02, 2006
8:14 PM EDT
"I'll argue the benefits of Debian for the experienced user over any rpm based Distro, any day of the week."

I, too would be interested in that argument. I'm not competent to uphold the rpm side, but PCLOS Magazine would probably welcome an article... Hint, hint, hint.

Tim
dinotrac

Sep 02, 2006
10:35 PM EDT
robntina and all --

WRT jimf --

Just remember, you don't need to argue all night when you're right! ;0)
jimf

Sep 02, 2006
10:52 PM EDT
Tim's still recruting. If I'm gonna write anything, It will be for DebCentral or LXer :D
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2006
6:46 AM EDT
>If I'm gonna write anything, It will be for DebCentral or LXer :D

Not dinotrac.com?

:>(
devnet

Sep 03, 2006
9:35 AM EDT
dinotrac.com? Isn't that a pr0n site?
dinotrac

Sep 03, 2006
9:40 AM EDT
>dinotrac.com? Isn't that a pr0n site?

Depends on what stokes your fires, m'boy.
devnet

Sep 03, 2006
5:47 PM EDT
ew...what if it douses the flame?
tuxchick2

Sep 03, 2006
10:07 PM EDT
I think it's time for a group hug.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!