you are missing the point of virtualization

Story: The Future of Virtualization On LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
mbaehrlxer

Sep 06, 2006
2:09 PM EDT
this is not about simply being able to use different operating systems, but much more about being able to run multiple processes in parallel in an environment where they absolutely can not affect each other.

virtualization is solving what a chroot can not.

as a server developer i must keep my machine running for work. restarting services would not allow me to do long term testing.

if i would want to use another operating system, i must be able to run them in a virtual instance, because i may only have time to play around while i am waiting for some other process to complete. and i need to be able to switch back any time. (for example i have been wanting to test hurd for some time, but it simply will not happen, until hurd is able to run as a virtual instance under or besides to linux.)

and even on the desktop, dual booting may be ok for the casual user, but a professional who has his or her email program open all the time, or who has multiple windows with many tabs in the webbrowser, simply can not afford to shut that off and reboot just for some word processing, or testing webpages with IE.

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!