The ultimate MS-EULA...

Story: A Contract Only Micro$oft Can BreakTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
hiohoaus

Sep 06, 2006
4:54 PM EDT
...would say "I agree to forfeit all rights, including the right to object to anything Provider or their agent does or says".

That's the aim, the rest is just decorative.
techiem2

Sep 06, 2006
5:02 PM EDT
"We own you. Stop whining."
dinotrac

Sep 06, 2006
5:52 PM EDT
I believe that it boils down to, "We're getting ours now no matter what, because one of these days you might just figure out that we don't have you by the balls any more."
jimf

Sep 06, 2006
6:05 PM EDT
That skirts the letter of the law so closely, that I wonder if it even a contract... Just amazing.
moopst

Sep 06, 2006
6:53 PM EDT
FOR PERSONAL INJURY, FOR LOSS OF PRIVACY, FOR FAILURE TO MEET ANY DUTY INCLUDING OF GOOD FAITH OR OF REASONABLE CARE, FOR NEGLIGENCE, AND FOR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY OR OTHER LOSS WHATSOEVER

They can kill you (personal injury) and you have no recourse. They can kill you even if you don't agree (any other loss whatsoever). If their software has a DRM or WGA hissyfit and your plane crashes or the electric grid for Ohio goes out you're sol. To the maximum extent allowed by law. Of course, given that no government can enforce their laws effectively on MicroSoft...
d0nk3y

Sep 06, 2006
6:56 PM EDT
Is this like the grown-up legal version of "I'm rubber, you're glue...."

Perhaps a new sign for MS is in order - a twist on what a lot of mechanics use:

"No care. No responsibility."
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 06, 2006
8:16 PM EDT
I think I got it..

We(Microsoft) are allowing you(loser) to use the said software until we decide to take it away and you(loser) have no choice in the matter whatsoever.

What do you think?
jimf

Sep 06, 2006
9:07 PM EDT
and that wouldn't even be a valid contract... Well, I guess one party gets abuse and the other gets to abuse... so maybe it is. So this is really about S&M :D
nalf38

Sep 07, 2006
2:44 PM EDT
Here's a toast to the GPL---individual responsibility for all!

MS: we reserve the right to sell insecure software, and if it hoses your machine, too bad.

At least with the GPL you have the option of filing a bug report, and because of the transparency of the OSS process, you can see exactly what is or isn't being done about it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!