RMS in France : BIOS prevents anything but Winblows

Story: A Contract Only Micro$oft Can BreakTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
henke54

Sep 08, 2006
11:07 AM EDT
Quoting:Q4: Was there anything else relevant from your travels that you would like us to know about?

A4: I am currently in France. Here some companies sell computers whose BIOS prevents installation of anything but Windows. Customers with a certain amount of expertise may be able to get another BIOS from branches of the same companies in other countries, but ordinary users won't know how to do that.

Also, we are concerned that the new French law, like the DMCA but even nastier, might prohibit the replacement of the BIOS if Windows is deemed to be a form of Digital Restrictions Management.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7058002470.html
jimf

Sep 08, 2006
12:25 PM EDT
I think we're all pretty shocked at the recent RMS legislation in France, and, afraid that something very similar will happen here. It's disgusting how much influence the MAFIA exerts on our Governments. Once again, any Citizens protests are just ignored.
techiem2

Sep 08, 2006
12:35 PM EDT
Wow. So um...how exactly is that NOT anti-competitive and monopolistic behavior? Seems like something the EU would be going after them for.....

Cuz I'm pretty sure the bios companies didn't just sit down and say "Hey! Our customers really want our bioses to restrict them from installing operating systems other than windows!"

More likely MS said "Psst, we'll pay your operating expenses (in the form of some special contract of course so things won't be suspicious) for 5 years if you restrict people from install operating systems other than windows."

But what do I know, I'm just a linux geek...
jimf

Sep 08, 2006
1:55 PM EDT
The support for anti-DRM and the actual restriction of the RMS was very strong in France, and seemed certain to succeed. Suddenly we see the French Government with a new law(s) which even furthers DRM. I'd really like to see a blow by blow description of what actually happened there, cause something doesn't smell right.
dek

Sep 08, 2006
4:19 PM EDT
jimf: I'd really like to see a blow by blow description of what actually happened there, cause something doesn't smell right.

For once, I'm in full agreement with you, Jim! (Don't fall over!) I, too, would like to know what happened with this. Especially since France is an EU member and the EU has been going after this kind of Anti-competitive behavior. . . . Makes me scratch my head, too.
jimf

Sep 08, 2006
5:40 PM EDT
> Jim! (Don't fall over!)

Well, I didn't think you were 'totally' irrational :D
henke54

Sep 08, 2006
7:00 PM EDT
link from june 2006 : http://eucd.info/index.php?2006/06/12/313-richard-stallman-p...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!