not interested in Gentoo

Story: My Gentoo odysseyTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
cheshire137

Sep 20, 2006
4:43 AM EDT
It's because of stories like this, either written up or told to me first-hand, that I never wish to try Gentoo. I'm more of the persuasion that wants to use their computer... Which is why I'm happier with Ubuntu, Debian, or Fedora.
SFN

Sep 20, 2006
5:24 AM EDT
Put on your asbestos suit because the hordes are filling their flamethrowers with rocket fuel.

I tried Gentoo but I didn't keep it for pretty much the same reason but I really would suggest that you try it. I definitely feel that going through the process taught me a lot and knowledge is good.
dinotrac

Sep 20, 2006
5:47 AM EDT
I'm not a huge fan of compiling my whole system from scratch.

I did that when I ran a FreeBSD server, but I put a lot less software on that puppy than I use on my Linux desktop.

I have to admit - the ports system made it pretty easy to do, but time is still time and I am still impatient.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 20, 2006
6:53 AM EDT
Like the Author said it was him not Gentoo, the user chose the wrong flavor of Linux for them. Gentoo is designed with a specific type of user in mind and that user is not the 'average' user. Its kind of like the difference between being taught a subject in a classroom setting or learning on the job. Both are equally valid forms of education but the results come down to which environment works best for the student. I think that anyone who uses or has used Gentoo will admit that it is more for the person who has existing knowledge and does not need someones hand to hang onto.

Try Linux From Scratch, it is 'similar' to Gentoo in that you pretty much put it together from its divergent pieces but it does do some of the work for you. You make the big decisions and a bunch of small ones too. It pretty much puts itself together for you if you want it too but you can compile to your hearts content if you like. You still have much more control over your system than pre-configured Distro but it is not the trial by fire that Gentoo seems to be.

See SFN, no flamethrowers! Besides, do you know how hard it is to get jet fuel legally these days?

:-)

techiem2

Sep 20, 2006
9:03 AM EDT
Whereas I am of the type that loves gentoo because of the piece by piece setup. I love picking every single package and then watching it compile... And then figuring out what when wrong when something won't... :)

I have a hard time seeing myself using anything else since I've switched. I currently run it on several machines (desktops, laptop, and servers).

But as has been said many times, gentoo is not for most people. I think you have to be somewhat crazier than the average linux geek to love gentoo. :)
jimf

Sep 20, 2006
9:28 AM EDT
I never found Gentoo all that difficult, just very time consuming. When I first started, there was a big difference in the performance between a custom compiled Gentoo (or Debian) install, and a binary Debian install. I can barely see the difference now, and, most times not at all.

It also irks me to have my CPU pegged at 100% all the time, especially if I want to do other things. I know, all the Gentoo guys say 'do it when you're asleep'... Nice in theory, but that really doesn't work for me. That said, If you want to see how the whole thing works, Gentoo is a great learning tool.
nalf38

Sep 20, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
Yeah, I'm a Gentoo lover. I have it on every machine I own. The setup is a hassle, but I find I have ultimate control over the packages I want to install, giving what for me is the best mix of stable and bleeding edge packages.
dek

Sep 20, 2006
3:11 PM EDT
jimf: say 'do it when you're asleep'... Nice in theory, but that really doesn't work for me.

What? You don't sleep?? Now we know what the matter is -- Sleep deprivation!!! ;-)

Seriously, anyone heard of an offshoot of Gentoo that installs a set of binary base packages so it's a faster install, then the Gentoo packaging tools take over? I had the name at one time but I've forgotten it in my olde age. . . .

I'd like to give that a try some time. Don
jimf

Sep 20, 2006
3:18 PM EDT
dek,

Seriously, It's such a joy to set up a compile just before bedtime... Not!
dek

Sep 20, 2006
4:13 PM EDT
jimf,

I believe you. However, that was the first thing that popped into my head! ;-) I've done plenty of stuff right before bed and I've found that's NOT a good time to do serious tweaking. Some thing about yawning is distracting. . . .
techiem2

Sep 20, 2006
4:50 PM EDT
dek:

Do you mean the Gentoo GRP (Gentoo Reference Platform)? I seem to recall that being the official one that can be binary installed.

There are probably others though.

sabayon http://www.sabayonlinux.org (formerly gentoo RR4/RR64) will do it too as I recall.
dek

Sep 20, 2006
5:25 PM EDT
It was VidaLinux, O/W known as VLOS. http://www.vidalinux.com/

Don
jimf

Sep 20, 2006
5:39 PM EDT
I tried VLOS last time (about a year ago) I was on a Distro testing spree. Actually a pretty nice KDE Desktop. I think I'd recomend this first to anyone wanting to dip their toes in Gentoo.
jimf

Sep 20, 2006
8:26 PM EDT
> linux is quite limited as to its compatibility to other programs

I don't know where you're getting that??? Windows really sucks, no matter how many programs they have.

And incidently chrissy, loose the spam :(
tuxchick2

Sep 20, 2006
8:26 PM EDT
Wow, that's such a sneaky subtle spam I bet no one noticed, chrissy2006. Have you ever considered finding honest employment? You might enjoy doing something that does not cause everyone to hate you.

Scott_Ruecker

Sep 20, 2006
10:12 PM EDT
Suble, like a jackhammer at 6am. ;-)
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2006
3:01 AM EDT
tc-jimf-Scott :

So...do you think any part of that message was typed in by a real human being commenting on the article? The text is generic enough that it could almost got to any linux discussion forum.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 21, 2006
4:51 AM EDT
Good question..I don't know..I think you might be right..

The words are common enough, no caps, mis-spelled 'shouln't and the exclamation and question mark in the first sentence is what makes me think it was a human, albeit a dumb one who somehow strung several sentences together, barely.

Could be a program..Hmmm

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!