Debian suffers meltdown. Film at Eleven

Story: Recall proposal puts Debian leader in dunc-tankTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dthacker

Sep 22, 2006
1:17 PM EDT
It looks to me like the politics matter more than the software. That's very disheartening. Towns and associates specifically went outside of Debian to avoid conflict of interest, and the Debian Correctness Squad hunted them down anyway. IMO, they should try this process for a release and then analyze how well it worked or didn't work. Otherwise, they'll spend so much of their time arguing, the release won't get out until next summer.

Dave
swbrown

Sep 22, 2006
1:55 PM EDT
Politics is Debian. :) Try getting a thousand volunteer developers together and not have any politics going on and you get a cookie.

Towns needs recalled anyway - he had been a problem as a ftpmaster for Sarge (no idea why he was voted into DPL), he acted unilaterally on the Java thing with Sun and against Debian's interest, and he obviously continues to cause friction today.
tuxchick2

Sep 22, 2006
2:08 PM EDT
Fave quote: "we were very far from a consensus."

Duh. That's the default. :)
jimf

Sep 22, 2006
2:38 PM EDT
And the children on the playground shouted 'Fight! Fight!'...
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 22, 2006
2:50 PM EDT
I'm with you Jim,

I hope it gets ugly, like a soap opera even. Its about time that Linux had a good Drama.

I think for Debian it would be cathartic. Debian is great buts internal structure is long due for an upgrade and I think that sometimes it takes a good shouting match to clear the air, at least everyone knows how you feel. ;-)

Why is it wrong to help pay Programmers to work on Debian? Why?
devnet

Sep 22, 2006
9:10 PM EDT
perhaps this will cleanse out the riff raff? I hope so...it seems everyone gets greedier these days...especially since you can actually turn a profit with open source nowadays (as opposed to a few years ago when people didn't even know what it was).
jimf

Sep 22, 2006
9:37 PM EDT
> since you can actually turn a profit with open source nowadays

Wish I could make that one work...
dcparris

Sep 22, 2006
10:01 PM EDT
> Wish I could make that one work...

Keep reading the Grep FOSSBiz series - you might get some ideas. ;-) Yeah, there's more to come.
devnet

Sep 23, 2006
6:37 PM EDT
I'm just about ready to clear my first 5 thousand dollar commission from 3 businesses in town. I've taken them from no network and 3-5 computers to a managed network with fileserver all running on ClarkConnect Linux :D

I've also negotiated contracts with them to provide IT support for all of them..hence the 5 thousand dollars...strictly support and service charges there...Installation was a diff. story. So it can be done.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!