Bad Sign?

Story: Debian Weekly News - September 26th, 2006Total Replies: 19
Author Content
devnet

Sep 27, 2006
6:24 AM EDT
Less Frequent Releases!?!

The debian weekly is going to a 'when we get it done' release schedule? Is this a bad sign?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 27, 2006
9:23 AM EDT
Yeah, I shivered too when I read it. Especially because it reads like it's related to the DUNC problems (though it probably isn't).
dinotrac

Sep 27, 2006
9:27 AM EDT
Hmmm.....

It'll be ready when it's ready. Sounds like an asymptote to me.
jdixon

Sep 27, 2006
11:38 AM EDT
> It'll be ready when it's ready. Sounds like an asymptote to me.

Actually, it sounds like Slackware. :)
dcparris

Sep 27, 2006
3:37 PM EDT
> Sounds like an asymptote to me

Seems like I spend as much time looking up words as writing them. What a crowd!
tuxchick2

Sep 27, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
don, I figured it out from the context. 'asymp' means irregular or unbalanced, and 'tote' is to carry. So it's an unbalanced load, and dino is tipped over with his legs waving in the air and he can't get back up.
dinotrac

Sep 27, 2006
4:19 PM EDT
tc -

Or, in the geometry world, it's two curves that get infinitely close together but never cross..

They can meet, but never cross.

I think there may be another, better term for curves that approach each other but never even meet...always having an infinitely smaller space between them...but I can't think of what it is.
devnet

Sep 28, 2006
5:25 AM EDT
The rocks rattling in your head dino? ;P
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
devnet...

Could be. Could be.
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
Well, I got the context, and figured he probably meant it "just wasn't happening". Then I found the Geometry definition, so I figured he meant 'the curves not meeting the line'. I was unaware of the unbalanced load concept altogether. And I ain't complaining about having to use a dictionary every now and then. That's a good thing. It figures that I missed the geometric implications - I basically took the minimum requirements for Math in school. I are an English/Bible major. ;-)
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
5:57 PM EDT
> It figures that I missed the geometric implications...

Well then, you obviously weren't following things when the Linux kernel was in the 0.9x range and everyone joked that it was asymptopicly approaching 1.0.
tuxchick2

Sep 28, 2006
6:44 PM EDT
asymptopicly?? For that you get a resounding twap.
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
6:58 PM EDT
> For that you get a resounding twap.

Your right. Webster's says it asymptopically. Rats. I always tend to mess up that form.
tuxchick2

Sep 28, 2006
7:23 PM EDT
No, the twap is for any form of that word. I hurt myself trying to pronounce it.
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
7:33 PM EDT
tc -

> I hurt myself trying to pronounce it.

A couple of Hall's Mentholyptus will help that, especially if you follow them up with a couple of martinis
jimf

Sep 28, 2006
7:41 PM EDT
> A couple of Hall's Mentholyptus will help that, especially if you follow them up with a couple of martinis

The cure sounds more painful than the original hurt...
jdixon

Sep 29, 2006
6:06 AM EDT
TC:

> No, the twap is for any form of that word. I hurt myself trying to pronounce it.

I had assumed that. I was just correcting myself and having fun with your comment. I probably should have used a smiley too.

Jimf:

> The cure sounds more painful than the original hurt...

Probably not at the time, but maybe the next morning. :)
jezuch

Sep 29, 2006
6:34 AM EDT
Quoting:I hurt myself trying to pronounce it.

Repeat after me:

W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie.

Any questions? ;)
dcparris

Sep 29, 2006
3:38 PM EDT
Ouch! I think I prefer Thai. :-)
jimf

Sep 29, 2006
3:46 PM EDT
Even Japanese sounds simple now :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!