No news here, Pixel is non-free

Story: Potential Photoshop killer PixelTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
wind0wsr3fund

Oct 02, 2006
12:15 PM EDT
And therefore, as worthless as PS itself.

herzeleid

Oct 02, 2006
12:48 PM EDT
It may not be free, but if the cost is reasonable and it's a quality app that is targeted for linux, I'm all for it, because even though I am a full time linux user, I don't demand that every app I use be "free".

You see, I don't believe the programmers who write cool apps for linux should be starved and punished. In fact, one of my fondest wishes is that a bunch of programmers will make a boatload of money writing apps for linux, and wind up filthy rich!

jimf

Oct 02, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
> I don't believe the programmers who write cool apps for linux should be starved and punished

Well, me neither, but... http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23770/
herzeleid

Oct 02, 2006
1:40 PM EDT
Jimf:

yeah, that could sour a person on that program and the people behind it - but it could well be simple administrative incompetence, rather than malice - I'd like to think so anyway, since good hackers quite often suck at business.
jimf

Oct 02, 2006
1:44 PM EDT
Believe me, I gave him every chance to make it right.
wind0wsr3fund

Oct 02, 2006
3:51 PM EDT
"You see, I don't believe the programmers who write cool apps for linux should be starved and punished."

herzeleid,

Neither does anyone from the FSF. Please take a moment to educate yourself on the goals of the Free Software Movement before telling me you're against something that doesn't exist.
herzeleid

Oct 02, 2006
4:04 PM EDT
windowsrefund:

I've supported the FSF for years, but I also have no problems with commercial apps - if that makes me a heretic, so be it.

IIRC the FSF itself has no restriction against non-free apps running on top of free OSes.
SFN

Oct 03, 2006
4:55 AM EDT
He doesn't mean "free". He means "free".
herzeleid

Oct 03, 2006
7:41 AM EDT
sfn:

Sure, we know the difference between free beer and free speech - and while I agree that the best OS turns out to be the one that is free as in speech, the best apps are often neither.
jimf

Oct 03, 2006
8:50 AM EDT
Pay no attention to him herzeleid,

wind0wsr3fund simply doesn't even see FOSS other than GPL'd as an option. That's fine if he accepts that as as his own limitation, but, he insists that he 'needs' to impose his views on you too, along with his view of 'freedom'. Some 'freedom' huh ;-) .
SFN

Oct 03, 2006
10:29 AM EDT
I was implying more that he changes the meaning of "free" whenever het gets a response that runs contrary to his opinion.
tuxchick2

Oct 03, 2006
10:50 AM EDT
I got it. :D
herzeleid

Oct 03, 2006
12:16 PM EDT
I can respect windowsrefund's zeal, and anyone else who stands for their principles and lives them out. But, I've been worked with the sandpaper of life to some degree, and don't have as many sharp edges on some of my views.

I quite happily run linux full time on the desktop, and I make my living with linux in the server room. I've no interest right now in running anything else - but running linux exclusively means I need to make some compromises in order for everything to work. That might mean for instance that I run the "evil" nvidia drivers to get the really good graphics performance, and it might mean that I run some non-free applications, where there is no OSS equivalent.

IMHO much better to stick with linux and use some non-free software with it, than to retreat to windoze...
1c3d0g

Oct 03, 2006
12:38 PM EDT
Herzeleid: couldn't have said it better myself.

Where can I find my beloved UT2k4 replacement? Or my gotta-have-installed NVIDIA drivers for superb 3-D acceleration? I can run as many Open Source apps/drivers as necessary, but I'm *not* going to deprive myself from enjoying the good things in life. That's all. :-)
herzeleid

Oct 03, 2006
12:47 PM EDT
icedog:

Yeah, I love ut2k4 too - but I still find myself going back to that trusty old quake 3 arena. It's amazing how many people are still playing out there. The freezetag mod rules.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!