Color me unimpressed with these people.

Story: Free deluxe open source content management systemTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
cr

Oct 14, 2006
3:05 PM EDT
Error: You must be a member to download files!

I could forgive the funky sidescrolled layout -- I do use an older version of Mozilla on this older machine and distro, and things sometimes look strange on my screen as a result -- but having me jumping through a few hoops to get to the download, only to end up at the above message, is mildly offensive.
vonskippy

Oct 14, 2006
4:44 PM EDT
WHO do these people THINK they are.

They spend all that time developing a FREE CMS engine and then have the AUDACITY to want just a spec of QC by requiring that you sign up (for free no less) so that you can log in and download their file.

Un-Freaking-Believable.

I'd say "CR" is teaching them a less'n they won't soon forget.

//actually, for a flat-file CMS, it's pretty well done for being in it's development stage, and as to having to register to download - what's the big deal (what else do you use your yahoo email account for?), almost all open source projects want to know who's using their stuff.
dcparris

Oct 15, 2006
12:40 PM EDT
The problem is not that they require membership, but that they don't tell you that until after you try to download the file. The link that says "Download Now" should have a parenthetical statement next to it that membership is require before downloading the software. I can certainly understand why someone would be a little miffed.
tuxchick2

Oct 15, 2006
1:01 PM EDT
I can understand them wanting to exercise a bit of control by requiring user registrations. But it would help to have an obvious link to register, instead of just an unfriendly error message.
cr

Oct 15, 2006
2:06 PM EDT
dcparris and tuxchick2 largely have it; I'm glad somebody read what I wrote.

I will say that I've dealt with signup forms for FOSS before (twiki for one); and any site member signup these days is nontrivial, what with waiting through the confirmation cycle, and hoping that my ISP's blacklist doesn't block their confirmation request, and their ISP's blacklist doesn't eat my response (I've seen both), before, in this instance, you get to even look at the code.

Having that surprise at the end of the rainbow was what prompted my post. I freely admit to being a loudmouth jerk, but I figured the difference between me and 100 other interested parties is that I go away and say something, just in case somebody might care how their setup is perceived by at least some of the online world, while they just go away.

Well, color me suitably chastened, vonskippy. I apologize for bothering to post a warning, and I'll just shut up now.
dcparris

Oct 16, 2006
6:21 AM EDT
No need to shut up, just because one person misread your post. :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!