then hire a female network administrator

Story: Seven steps to increase Linux securityTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick2

Oct 16, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
Since this implies that men are simply not up to the job:

".. chances are he'll admit that Linux is an inherently more stable and scalable solution. Chances are he'll also admit that when it comes to securing the system from outside attack, Linux is possibly the most difficult of the three to work with."

Awww! It really is difficult. You have to purchase expensive commercial anti-malware and firewall software, or buy a nice pre-fab border appliance, and track and pay for all kinds of licenses. Then you have to deal with Patch Tuesday, which is really Patch Test Box Tuesday, test the patch as well as you can for days and days, then deploy, then have a nervous breakdown when it breaks your network anyway. Then chuckle sadly as all those nice expensive security products mysteriously don't stop "legitimate" malware from big brand-name commercial vendors. You see, if it's a corporation, it's not malware. Note to lone crackers toiling in your mommy's basements: incorporate. Then you're home free.

Oh wait, that's not Linux. Sorry.

".. many network administrators new to Linux find it hard to transition from a point-and-click security configuration interface to one based on editing complicated and hard-to-locate text files... it's just that in the unfamiliar Linux world, they're not completely sure of their bearings or where to start."

OMG!! As Netadmin Ken says, "learning new things is hard! Why can't Linux be just like Windows, with all the important and essential functions obscured beneath a fragile Registry and a colorful pointy-clicky interface with limited functionality? Choices are hard too! Ouch, my pretty little head doesn't feel good!"

GAH.

jimf

Oct 16, 2006
2:57 PM EDT
Great subject line :D
jdixon

Oct 16, 2006
5:36 PM EDT
Yeah, I read that and didn't even bother clicking on the story. Some people just don't deserve my time, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.
moopst

Oct 16, 2006
6:23 PM EDT
Unfortunately I did glance at the article. Subject line 2 was "Install a firewall". Hello, iptables is built into the kernal. Maybe they mean a pointy-clicky thing to help them generate rules.

---- Gagh, subject 4 is "Disable unwanted services". On real operating systems they're called daemons.
jsusanka

Oct 19, 2006
6:23 AM EDT
".. many network administrators new to Linux find it hard to transition from a point-and-click security configuration interface to one based on editing complicated and hard-to-locate text files... it's just that in the unfamiliar Linux world, they're not completely sure of their bearings or where to start."

maybe this is why they are having security problems in the first place

they have no clue what they are doing and were probably trained on point and click microsoft products and when they don't work and the tech support isn't there from the the big corporation then they call MOMMY! Linux is hard - I have to use the command line WAAHHHH!

lots of people are in IT that have no business being in it.
hkwint

Oct 20, 2006
1:42 AM EDT
Indeed, the biggest security risk is at OSI layer 8 sitting at the desk. Indeed, the lazy system administrator preferring inferior software.
dcparris

Oct 20, 2006
1:58 AM EDT
For a minute there, Hans, I thought you were talking about me. But then I realized you said something about inferior software and I knew you meant the "other" people! :-)

Lazy Admin
hkwint

Oct 20, 2006
5:47 AM EDT
Seems like a little mistake there.

It's a bit of a paradox: The people using the inferior software suffer from more crashes, have more work to do than people with normal software. People running normal, not inferior software don't have to delete virusus, malware, re-license / re-install all their software weekly and click on rectangles on their screen two-thousand times per day (and the worst: those rectangles are _MOVING_ the whole day; never in the same place). So, who's lazy here?

Now Don, get your feet off the table and back to work! At least you could do double shifts! Oh no, I forgot, you already did ;)

_______

A nice anecdote: A friend of mine keeps working with Windows and running lots of services on it. I already told the chap a thousand times he should switch, and he is willing to, but it's the learning curve he's afraid of. At the moment, he re-installs WinXP every week, at least one time, but sometimes even twice a week. His new record is five times in one day, thereby making it an art. He uses special scripts (or programs) and illegal downloaded unattended WinXP software (Hacked by Dijah and Beti or so, their names appear instead of the 'start' logo in the start-menu) to speedup re-installing it.

I always say (something like): by installing Linux, you start with almost nothing (especially in the case of Gentoo), and from there, you use bricks and cement to build a house (I prefer it from scratch). With Windows, you get a finished house made from cardboard and non-water-resistant glue, and from the moment you start using it, you start wearing it out, and finally breaking it. After that, you wish the wind blows the remainders away through the window (that's why it's called Windows, ain't it?)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!