XGL/Compiz and free driver

Story: Root exploit found in binary NVIDIA driverTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
cheshire137

Oct 17, 2006
6:32 AM EDT
Does anyone know if XGL/Compiz still works when using the free NVIDIA driver?
herzeleid

Oct 17, 2006
7:11 AM EDT
If you mean, will the compiz/xgl effects continue working if, instead of updating your nvidia driver, you nuke it and downgrade to the "nv" skeleton driver included in the xorg distribution, the answer is no.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 17, 2006
8:54 AM EDT
Nope. You want an Intel chip for that.
dcparris

Oct 17, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
I'm curious, because I really haven't paid close attention to the Intel chip. Can I buy a graphics card with the Intel chip, or is that integrated into the mobo? I assume it's integrated, based on what I've seen so far. If it's a dumb question, just realize that I am dumb about this. I used to keep up with hardware more than I do now.
herzeleid

Oct 17, 2006
11:24 AM EDT
Quoting: dcparris: Can I buy a graphics card with the Intel chip, or is that integrated into the mobo?
I'd like to know too - from all the looking around I've done, the only recent intel graphics chips I've found are embedded in the motherboards. I'd like to see intel re-enter the graphics card market, as that would provide a viable choice for a modern video card with FOSS drivers.
dcparris

Oct 17, 2006
11:34 AM EDT
I think you just answered my question. It would be nice to have a separate card to buy.
jdixon

Oct 17, 2006
1:38 PM EDT
> Can I buy a graphics card with the Intel chip, or is that integrated into the mobo?

The last chipset which Intel offered as a discrete video card was the i740. It's performance was adequate for the day, but it was crippled by poor to non-existant drivers. AFIAK, everything since then has been motherboard only.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 17, 2006
2:05 PM EDT
Quoting:It would be nice to have a separate card to buy.

Where's the market? Aside from us FLOSSies who want to replace their current cards with cards that have Free drivers I don't know why anyone would buy such a card. Older ATI's and NVidia's go for as low as $40 a piece and they beat Intel GPU's by a mile. On-board video an possibly future on-CPU video looks like the only viable place unless Intel starts closing the performance gap.

One think I do wonder about: Could a FLOSS-friendly entity simply buy large stacks of Intel GPU's and put them on a separate board for us at a decent price, or does the design make that impossible?
dcparris

Oct 17, 2006
8:23 PM EDT
I just don't care for having everything integrated. If you need to replace your sound, video or whatever card, then you pretty much wind up replacing the whole mobo. I used to cringe over that. In fact, I think I still do. I suppose that in a laptop, integrated circuitry makes a little more sense, since you're not quite as apt to run out and replace your graphics card on those. But in a workstation I want "interminglable" components.

Since I just got soaked financially, I'll have to add an Intel mobo to my Christmas wishlist.
jimf

Oct 17, 2006
8:58 PM EDT
> I just don't care for having everything integrated.

I definitely 2nd that.
tuxchick2

Oct 17, 2006
9:08 PM EDT
Since the onboard chips are so small, I'm wondering why they can't made removeable and upgradeable. Instead of the only other option being a PCI or AGP card.
jimf

Oct 17, 2006
10:21 PM EDT
> I'm wondering why they can't made removeable and upgradeable.

Can we say 'Profit'...
1c3d0g

Oct 18, 2006
7:16 AM EDT
No, it has to do with the motherboard layers...current graphics cards use a 10-12 layer PCB (at least), a desktop motherboard usually has only 4 layers. Don't get me wrong, it *can* be done, but the price of the thing would be outrageous. Just like a 100 MPG car, it can be made easily, but again nobody would be able to afford it. :-(
jimf

Oct 18, 2006
9:11 AM EDT
> No, it has to do with the motherboard layers...

And that's not about profit? The point for the OEM is to sell a bunch and maximize their profits. If it's too expensive initially, as you say, few will buy it. Better to put a bunch of less expensive boards on the market.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!