roflmao

Story: Free AVG 7.1 for Linux is a must haveTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
incinerator

Oct 22, 2006
11:59 PM EDT
"...antivirus on Linux is essential."

Perhaps you can remember your days as a kid in primary schools. On one occasion, either you or some other kid in class would make a foolish comment and everyone on class would start laughing and point fingers towards him or her. I wish there was a way to let the author be that kid, just once.
helios

Oct 23, 2006
1:55 AM EDT
I wish there was a way to let the author be that kid, just once......

That happened when he hit the "send" button on the submit article page.

"OK Johnny, today we are going to learn a new, one syllable word. Get out your writing tablet and write the word:

S-h-i-l-l....."
incinerator

Oct 23, 2006
2:43 AM EDT
Indeedy, I guess Fernando Cassia is the next name to put onto my s**t list.
miraceti

Oct 23, 2006
2:45 AM EDT
"Free AVG 7.1 for Linux is a must have"

I think not!

Perhaps he is trying to appeal to recent windows converts who have been conditioned, through using windows, to always use antivirus programs as a matter of basic security in the hope of some sales of a professional version.
jezuch

Oct 23, 2006
4:06 AM EDT
And why would you need an antivir? Because you have WINE to run Windows programs with. I wonder if WINE is complete enough to get infected :)
Sander_Marechal

Oct 23, 2006
4:07 AM EDT
Ah, the spasms of an industry being choked to death. Vista's new security policies spells doom for AV vendors if things if MS doesn't live up to it's promise to open up (and AV vendors should know how well MS keeps it's promises). They're just desperately trying to find new markets.

It's a nice product for those making extensive use of Wine or it's deratives, but that's all (running the AV in the host Linux OS rather than the emulation that's being attacked by the virusses is probably better from a security point of view - no chance that the virus can subvert the AV scanner)
Sander_Marechal

Oct 23, 2006
4:52 AM EDT
Yup, the AV vendors are definately NOT drinking MS's Kool-Aid with regards to them opening up the kernel API's for 3rd party AV software: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/20/ms_mcafee_rumble/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!