Anything wrong with ClamAV?

Story: Free AVG 7.1 for Linux is a must haveTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
hiohoaus

Oct 23, 2006
4:02 AM EDT
I've set that up in PostFix with a good-quality commercial virus scanner next in the queue and it didn't many anything for 18 months (before I took down the commercial scanner when the customer stopped paying for it).

In some places, I also have Squid poke stuff through it.
incinerator

Oct 23, 2006
5:15 AM EDT
just out of pure interest, how many hits did you actuallt get out if it?
tuxchick2

Oct 23, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
ClamAV is great, if you have winduhs hosts on your network. Otherwise, get a grip. A/V for Linux? No way, and especially not commercialware, with their sweetheart deals with their corporate buddies to let the "legitimate" malware through.
herzeleid

Oct 23, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
Quoting: tuxchick: No way, and especially not commercialware, with their sweetheart deals with their corporate buddies to let the "legitimate" malware through.
That's a good point tc, I hadn't even thought about that - depending on a commercial av could conceivably create new vulnerabilities.
hiohoaus

Oct 23, 2006
5:30 PM EDT
incinerator: it varied a lot, but typically amounted to a handful a day.

At the same time I had another customer with a similarly-sized LAN (full of 'Doze) and no virus scanning. They would lose one or two machines a week to mailed malware.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!