Free? No, just free

Story: With Free Software, You Get What You Pay ForTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
mjjohansen

Oct 28, 2006
9:33 PM EDT
It seems the article is about free, not Free software. And even then, it is an extremely boring sales speech.
dek

Oct 29, 2006
1:48 AM EDT
It's about freeware as distinct from OSS. Although the author doesn't make that distinction (indeed one wonders if she understands the distinction).

Chalk another one up in the "oh well" column!

Don K.
techiem2

Oct 29, 2006
5:27 AM EDT
heh.

Another article with apparently little/no research behind it.

While I'm sure many freeware security apps aren't up to the level of the commercial ones, she completely ignores the fact that many of the freeware products are simply lighter versions of commercial products with a few less advanced features and without support.

Makes ya wonder if this "article" was prompted by certain struggling security vendors...
tuxchick2

Oct 29, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
"Makes ya wonder if this "article" was prompted by certain struggling security vendors..."

Noooo! How could it be? No waaaayyyy.

:P
jdixon

Oct 29, 2006
1:36 PM EDT
> she completely ignores the fact that many of the freeware products are simply lighter versions of commercial products...

Almost exclusively, yes. And would you buy a commerical package if the free version misses a virus on your home machine?

In my non-official testing on virus infected machines, the free version of AVG does a better job than either Norton or McAfee. It's never missed a virus McAfee or Norton found, and it sometimes finds ones they miss. However, even it's not perfect, and I've sometimes had to use Trend Micro's Housecall to get everything cleaned up. The combination of F-Prot for a quick scan, AVG for a second cleaning, and Housecall has never failed to clean a machine. Now, whether the machine would boot when I got done is another matter. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!