if enough would choose his path, dell would change policy

Story: Linux man gets his Windows money backTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
rittmey

Nov 09, 2006
12:49 AM EDT
This is great news. Now if all of us, buying any systems which come with Windows preinstalled follow Dave Mitchell's steps, it will increase the customer support burden enormously. Which in the end could help OEM's decision making process to finally either provide Linux preinstalled or at least to optionally provide all systems without any proprietary software - at lower cost.

helios

Nov 09, 2006
2:47 AM EDT
..."to finally either provide Linux preinstalled or at least to optionally provide all systems without any proprietary software - at lower cost."

That would seem a good idea, and one that has been called for in the recent past, however; people who value their freedom of choice are not going to purchase a proprietary hardware system.

See here for details. Dell should not be a FOSS advocate's first choice, or any choice in my opinion.

http://www.lobby4linux.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_i...
dcparris

Nov 09, 2006
7:02 AM EDT
One of our editors has written about this previously.
wind0wsr3fund

Nov 09, 2006
9:56 AM EDT
Wishful thinking....

The problem here is that people are just too lazy to actually do anything to correct this problem. Efforts have been iniitiated as far back as 1998 with the original Windows Refund Day event held here in NYC. Despite generating a few headlines, the event was a failure due the fact that not a single company put a policy in place to empower the refund seeker.

Years later, the problem got worse when users were being charged for 2 instances of a tied (e.g. "bundled") Microsoft product, namely 2000 and XP. That started the birth of my windowsrefund.net campaign (now windowsrefund.info) where I was able to:

1. Increase the public's awareness of the MS Tax situation through articles, speeches, and Internet radio interviews.

2. FIled an action in Small Claims Court against Toshiba for not supplying a refund despite the terms of the EULA.

3. Declared a call for action with the annoucement of Windows Refund Day II. My hopes were to see atleast 1 person from every state file in Small Claims on the same day. This effort alone could have put an end to the problem.

There were other activities but I can't recall at the moment. More info at http://windowsrefund.info if you're interested...

tuxchick

Nov 09, 2006
10:11 AM EDT
rittmey, the part that gripes me is how customers are ripped off without recourse, except whatever they can gain by their own efforts. Microsoft is not required to honor its own EULA, even though some court rulings have upheld the validity of this ridiculous distortion of a "contract." Truly the law is teh stupid.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!