It is the point.

Story: Novell Is Not SCOTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Jack_

Nov 09, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
Mr. Vaughan-Nichols,

if Novell has made this deal with Microsoft only to make its investors happy, what if I can ask, does this do for open source and the community. If I understand you, correct me if Iam wrong, it was Novell's change to open source that investors are un-happy ?.

The facts are, the community's history is longer then Novell's with open source, the community has with nothing more then the drive to change the way software is created, along with added freedoms for the user, that propiretary have never done. The community's investment in this deal between Novell and Microsoft is larger then most will find they can believe; the lack of respect from proprietary for open source, have most of them believe that open source is something to step on and over that such deals as Novell's is a clear example of such thinking.

While Novell did not step on the community, they did step over them, the same people that make thousands upon thousands of downloads to test the SUSE kernel (OpenSUSE); bug finds and the reports make up more of Novell's R&D then Novell could ever buy at any price, all this ends up as part/whole in Novell's commercial products that this deal pays Novell well for. I for one are sick of the community bashing, when the community makes it known that the line is not respected, and opinions passed, are seen as the community's lack of vision to see the good ?.

Last, Novell had no business making this deal without the community that supports them, free of charge for work knowledge and duty to something the community believes in. If investors are the only drive for Novell, to drive them not to respect others and their work; why should the community beliveve and react the way proprietary want them to ?.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!