Great resource

Story: Give the Gift of Pre-Installed Linux This YearTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
hackmeister

Nov 13, 2006
7:09 AM EDT
Great job guys! I will recommend this to anyone who's looking to purchase a new system. It's about time we support the vendors who are selling pre-installed Linux systems.
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
7:20 AM EDT
Thanks for the encouragement! I wholeheartedly agree with you about supporting the vendors who support us. We just need to get the word out so people will know where to look.
Libervis

Nov 13, 2006
7:58 AM EDT
I second that this is a great resource, and will obviously keep improving. I am thinking about starting my own GNU/Linux PC business here in Croatia actually, starting very small and then see how it goes, as there is no exclusive GNU/Linux PC vendor here yet, so who knows, maybe one day I end up in this db. ;)

Cheers

Danijel
dek

Nov 13, 2006
8:07 AM EDT
I like it generally. Nice job! However, I hope you are not done adding features because I have 1 or 2 requests. I'd like to be able to see where (as in what state/province or city), a business is located on the listing page. I'd also like to be able to search on that. Right now, it's a crap shoot picking out something that is local.

I know! I know! Picky picky!

You guys are to be commended for getting it up in it's present form.

Thanks!

Don K.
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
8:38 AM EDT
Well, you know we have some more work to do yet. We'll see if we can do something with your suggestions. Give us time, but we'll get there.
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2006
8:52 AM EDT
Huzzah! Applause! Well done! Are we going to see a permanent link on the front page?
Libervis

Nov 13, 2006
8:54 AM EDT
There's already a "products" link in the main menu. :)
Sander_Marechal

Nov 13, 2006
11:16 AM EDT
This could use a much bigger and move visible link on the front page. I'd definately consider creating a 125x125px graphic ad that least to the database and put it in the right hand menu on the front page.
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2006
11:54 AM EDT
"Products" doesn't really say to me "Kewl Linux-friendly vendors here!! Click me- you know you want to!!" I like Sander's idea.
auser

Nov 13, 2006
12:13 PM EDT
Which of these vendors avoids passing on the Microsoft Tax as a soft-cost?

For example, I know for a fact that EmperorLinux hasn't been able to figure this out. While this is a certainly a great start, not documenting this aspect of each offering allows the possibility of unintended dollars ending up in Microsoft's account.
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
1:26 PM EDT
Actually, most of them do. Many of them show a "-" sign next to the cost when you choose Linux or no OS over Windows. Dell's no OS boxes are simply more expensive, despite there being 'less' to purchase. I still think someone has their math screwed up.
auser

Nov 13, 2006
1:31 PM EDT
dcparris,

Yes but what about the ones that don't? I believe consumers would stand to benefit from knowing this information up front. Do you agree that this aspect is worth capturing in the database?
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2006
1:40 PM EDT
auser, that information would be valuable and useful, and I'm sure that if you volunteer to collect some of it it will be used.
auser

Nov 13, 2006
1:45 PM EDT
yes, gathering the information wouldn't be too difficult. I'm just looking for confirmation that the database/front end will be modified accordingly.
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
1:45 PM EDT
Well, I really think that, if we do that, we should charge users a fee for doing their shopping for them. ;-) The point is to make it easy to find vendors who might offer end-users a nice, friendly Linux installation, not compare every single factor. We might consider this at some point, but not right now. And to be honest, I never did see any of our entries that charge more for Linux or no OS than for Windows. You might see something different where you're getting the Red Hat Workstation license, but otherwise Windows was more expensive in every case, as I recall.

I only said most, because there could be one or two that charge more. I might have missed something. I think the MS tax only applies to Dell, HP, and the gang. Honestly. If you're being charged more for less by a white box biz, I'd go elsewhere. That said, I'd be willing to pay the same for Linux pre-installed as I would have to for Windows. Software-wise, I'd still be coming out on top. :-)
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
1:54 PM EDT
Tell ya what. If you see a a vendor that charges less for Windows than for no OS, let me know.
auser

Nov 13, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
dcparris,

You are missing the point. 9 out of 10 people aren't even aware of the MS Tax, never mind vendors who pass it off as a soft cost. There is nothing complex regarding the storage of this information compared to others bits of data (e.g. company name, location) that is currently being captured. All I am suggesting is that this important attribute be added so those of us who are aware of its importance can have a place to store the information.
dcparris

Nov 13, 2006
4:09 PM EDT
Thanks auser. I'll discuss it with Dave and see if we can include that attribute as well.
auser

Nov 13, 2006
4:47 PM EDT
Good to hear. Many thanks in advance.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!