OMG read page 3

Story: Gates on Vista, Linux and moreTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Nov 17, 2006
3:29 PM EDT
According to Gates "free software" is great, because it's free. It's used by startups. They can build on it. They hire people and pay taxes and all. - he's referring to BSD/MIT style licenses.

Then he goes on to open source (GPL). Apparently Open Source is evil because startups cannot use it, it spreads like a vrius and people using it don't pay taxes.

... and they call *us* detached from reality....
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't decide if he's a simpleton, or just talks like one.
Libervis

Nov 17, 2006
4:20 PM EDT
I can't believe someone can lie like this. This is shameful beyond words..

Quoting:Now (Free Software Foundation head Richard) Stallman, he is truly pure; unlike many people who sort of try to act that way, he's pure. In V3 (version three of the General Public License) he's going to really make it clear that there's the world of "can never be (commercialized)"--nobody can ever make money on it, you know, build Web services or things. At least he's pure.

So there you have it. Bill Gates is telling the unwashed masses that GPLv3 is a license meant to make it impossible to make money with software.

And we thought Microsoft was getting friendly? This is still a full on war folks. :(
dcparris

Nov 17, 2006
4:28 PM EDT
> This is still a full on war folks.

Agreed.
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2006
4:46 PM EDT
Gee yumpin' yiminy Libervis, I just skimmed a bit of it and missed that bit. Ewwwwww. He sounds like a dimwit, but he's far from harmless.

dinotrac

Nov 17, 2006
4:53 PM EDT
>So there you have it. Bill Gates is telling the unwashed masses that GPLv3 is a license meant to make it impossible to make money with software.

Sound like he's been talking to the Linux kernel developers.
moopst

Nov 18, 2006
1:27 PM EDT
I like the part about how you're not allowed to make money using GPL software to "you know, build Web services or things." Apparently he's never heard of Google. I guess RMS will have to shut down Google for using Linux on all those server farms.

Maybe RMS can use the BSA (Bill's Secret Army) to shut them down.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 18, 2006
2:19 PM EDT
I thought the internet was built on IIS?

**pees his pants laughing**

I gotta go change....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!