They probably ship the PCs with a Zune each...

Story: Vista released: PC sales drop? Dealers blamed!Total Replies: 16
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Nov 19, 2006
3:54 PM EDT
...and MS have confessed that Vista doesn't drive a Zune.

Oops.

A quiet little mistake?
rijelkentaurus

Nov 19, 2006
5:59 PM EDT
>...and MS have confessed that Vista doesn't drive a Zune.

I saw that on Slashdot. Is that true? LOL, if it is that's pretty funny.
tuxchick

Nov 19, 2006
8:14 PM EDT
There are so many ways that the Zune does not work you have to wonder why bother?
dinotrac

Nov 19, 2006
8:31 PM EDT
And...

Let us start with this:

iPod sounds cool. Zune sounds Dorkalicious.

Do they take coders who aren't even good enough for Windows and assign them to product naming?

Sheesh!
rijelkentaurus

Nov 20, 2006
2:57 AM EDT
>Zune sounds Dorkalicious.

The estate of Frank Herbert should sue for copyright infringement and defamation of character. 8-)
dinotrac

Nov 20, 2006
3:55 AM EDT
>The estate of Frank Herbert should sue for copyright infringement and defamation of character. 8-)

Hmmm. I'm beginning to think Asimov might not be happy about the Zoundation trilogy, either, huh?
tuxchick

Nov 20, 2006
7:29 AM EDT
You guyz are zo zilly.
helios

Nov 20, 2006
3:45 PM EDT
OK, straighten me out here if I swerve off-path.

Microsoft releases a device to compete with the Ipod, but the Zune device will play primarily wma files and mp3 files if the stars are in the right configuration. Now, the DRM WILL be in place to insure The King is paid his tribute, but...the machine that holds the wma files will not interface with the new Zune Device. That seems to make it impossible to use it if one has only Vista to work with.

Where did I go wrong here? Seems to me I saw some dynamics of this situation in a three stooges film clip while drinking beer at a Village Inn in 70. Believe it was on Shea and Cactus, right down the street from Roadrunner park. Which was incidentally a haven for mind-altering drugs in pill form and such outrage...or so I heard. And no, it is not true that LSD even years after ingestion can cause rambling speech and disjointed thought processes.

What were we talking about?

h
tuxchick

Nov 20, 2006
4:14 PM EDT
helios,

What?

Like wow, man.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 20, 2006
4:23 PM EDT
tuxchick

Nov 20, 2006
4:35 PM EDT
Heavy.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 20, 2006
5:07 PM EDT
>And no, it is not true that LSD even years after ingestion can cause rambling speech and disjointed thought processes.

Now listen here! Dr. Shea and the Cactus Man were just doing their duty to make you feel at home...zzzzzzzzz

/crash

LOL!!
helios

Nov 21, 2006
2:17 AM EDT
helios,

What?...

LOL...Which just goes to show how time dulls the memory, even if that memory is from your "stomping grounds" Lest anyone from the Phoenix/Paridise Valley area read this, I acknowledge that Shea and Cactus ran parallel to each other... The actual intersecting street I forgot was 32nd Street. GoogleEarth is your friend.

OK...playful splurge finished....for now.

h
dinotrac

Nov 21, 2006
2:31 AM EDT
helios --

Hey man, no biggie.

Hey look, man....

Me'n Carlos were thinkin' of truckin' over to Don Juan's for a few Yaquis. You in, man? How about that big yellow dog? Nah...leave him behind. Total downer man. Just when you start gettin in touch with forever, he starts talking about Sartre. It's not like the buttons don't turn the tum bad enough, but then you gotta listen to some mutt -- not even pedigreed -- talkin' about nausea on some philosophical level. Definitely no. Leave the dog behind.
theboomboomcars

Nov 21, 2006
5:51 AM EDT
Quoting:Microsoft releases a device to compete with the Ipod, but the Zune device will play primarily wma files and mp3 files if the stars are in the right configuration. Now, the DRM WILL be in place to insure The King is paid his tribute, but...the machine that holds the wma files will not interface with the new Zune Device. That seems to make it impossible to use it if one has only Vista to work with.

You hit it on the head here. I am presuming that M$ is doing their usual tactic, of releasing a product with a forced upgrade. So when you buy your new computer with Vista on it and you Zune doesn't work with it you'll just go out and buy a new one that will work with your new computer.

This was a brilliant plan, except that the customers thought that the Zune was stupid and didn't buy it in the first place.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 21, 2006
6:46 AM EDT
>This was a brilliant plan, except that the customers thought that the Zune was stupid and didn't buy it in the first place.

With more information at hand than they used to have, consumers don't seem to be getting duped by MS as much these days. I hope that trend continues.
jdixon

Nov 21, 2006
6:52 AM EDT
> ...consumers don't seem to be getting duped by MS as much these days.

Microsoft is getting some old fashioned business lessons the hard way.

1) Your customer makes your business. Alienate him at your own peril. 2) Trust takes years to accumulate and can be lost in moments. Lack of trust alienates the customer. See 1) above.

The current management appears to be incapable of learning, but they won't be around forever, and there's hope that those lower down the chain are learning.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!