Go Netware Go!

Story: Protest Letter for NovellTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
helios

Nov 23, 2006
7:21 PM EDT
Novell better hope they get a sustained spike in sales from Netware...It would appear to me (and oh please allow me a moment of arrogant pride) that many leaders in the community are saying the exact thing in this letter I (and others) said right here two weeks ago.

Suse is Dead...Long Live Netware.

It couldn't have happened to nicer management types. Seems that those thirty pieces of silver are beginning to tarnish quickly.

h
rijelkentaurus

Nov 24, 2006
2:26 AM EDT
dcparris

Nov 24, 2006
8:51 AM EDT
Um, no he didn't. That was the problem. He tried to give back the money, but not out of sincere repentance. He then committed suicide. Repentance would have avoided the need for suicide.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 24, 2006
9:38 AM EDT
>Um, no he didn't. That was the problem. He tried to give back the money, but not out of sincere repentance. He then committed suicide. Repentance would have avoided the need for suicide.

I'd rather get rid of my post than to start a religious discussion. I apologize for posting that at all.
jimf

Nov 24, 2006
10:34 AM EDT
> I'd rather get rid of my post than to start a religious discussion

I'm not seeing that an analogy taken from religion constitutes a religious discussion. I would however call the analogy flawed, as Corporate entities are probably not capable of betrayal, and, certainly not repentance. Those actions are all too human for the likes of constructs.
helios

Nov 24, 2006
10:41 AM EDT
Um, no he didn't. That was the problem. He tried to give back the money, but not out of sincere repentance. He then committed suicide. Repentance would have avoided the need for suicide....

Nothing religious about it...Don was simply correcting a statement from a historical perspective.

h
dcparris

Nov 24, 2006
11:02 AM EDT
I can see how it could quickly turn theological, and there is kind of a theological tint to my response. But it is also historical fact. The analogy is apt, and applies fairly well here. If we follow the legal perspective of a corporation, a virtual person, and recognize that corporations are capable of breaking contracts, betraying trust, and so on, then it could be said that Novell got its 30 pieces of silver - both Novell and Judas were motivated by money.

Most analogies are generally flawed in some way or other anyway.
jimf

Nov 24, 2006
11:09 AM EDT
> a virtual person

By law (and dubious law at that) only. I think it's very dangerous (but admittedly human :D) to ascribe human atributes to constructs.
tuxchick

Nov 24, 2006
11:12 AM EDT
But corporations are run by people. They aren't independent life forms. The legal principal that says corporations are not people is just a dodge to avoid liability.
helios

Nov 24, 2006
11:22 AM EDT
LOL, I know a certain "Corporation" that got his butt whupped recently...well it was the CFO of the corporation, but it was close enough for him that wanted revenge.

The "Protective Wall" a corporation provides doesn't stop fists or any other projectile...Seems that more ceo's need to learn that. 'Specially ceo's that spit in the face of entire world communities.

h
jimf

Nov 24, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
> The legal principal that says corporations are not people is just a dodge to avoid liability.

Well, that's a whole other discussion, but, I'd say that without liability there is no accountability and probably no conscience... Convenient huh :D

jimf

Nov 24, 2006
11:43 AM EDT
> The "Protective Wall" a corporation provides doesn't stop fists or any other projectile...Seems that more ceo's need to learn that. 'Specially ceo's that spit in the face of entire world communities.

The 'Protective Wall', as you put it, has been used by unprincipled individuals to cover their unethical and in many cases criminal behavior. MS's Gates, and now Ballmer are only two examples in a long line who have abused the system. IBM and Novell have also had their share. The really sad part is that, rarely, is anyone ever held accountable.

I know that The Art of War by Sun Tzu has been a must read for all Corporate executives for some time. I become increasingly convinced that much of what MS is doing right now is to 'beat the grass to startle the snakes'. Once the snakes show themselves, I think we'll see what MS is up to. So far, It appears to be a very successful operation.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 24, 2006
12:39 PM EDT
>Nothing religious about it...Don was simply correcting a statement from a historical perspective.

>Um, no he didn't. That was the problem. He tried to give back the money, but not out of sincere repentance. He then committed suicide. Repentance would have avoided the need for suicide.

Matthew 27 3 Then Judas, who betrayed him, seeing that he was condemned, repenting himself, brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and ancients, 4 Saying: I have sinned in betraying innocent blood. But they said: What is that to us? look thou to it. 5 And casting down the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed: and went and hanged himself with an halter.

Whether you interpret this as "real" repentance or not is a direct reflection of your religious views, something I wanted to avoid. However, I'm not avoiding it as the expense of being called wrong without defending myself. My original remark was in no way meant to be taken as a religious comment, but in retrospect I knew that it could be and I wanted to avoid that. I'd prefer to drop it at this point. My apologies to anyone I've offended.
dcparris

Nov 24, 2006
1:48 PM EDT
Fair enough. And you touched on the nuance of the religious aspect, that I was referring to above. I just didn't get into the details. And it's certainly not something we need to delve into here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!