include the little guys

Story: Let's reward corporations that embrace Free SoftwareTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
rsevenic

Nov 29, 2006
11:07 AM EDT
Let's support, not only the large Linux -semi-friendly corporations, but the little guys who have bet their little companies on Linux. For example, instead of purchasing your next computer from a large vendor whose Linux support has been lukewarm, buy one from a small Linux-centric vendor. I have had good luck and responsive support from opensensesolutions and Los Alamos Computers (laclinux). I have no connection with either. There are many others.

Richard
herzeleid

Nov 29, 2006
12:01 PM EDT
Yes I will try to do that. One thing I had noticed in the past, is that the small linux centric vendors would take 3 weeks to build and ship the system, and charge $300 more, than an equivalent system from a mainline vendor, and that was what discouraged me.
number6x

Nov 29, 2006
1:31 PM EDT
I have purcased from one of the many small linux centric vendors. In my experience, the difference in quality is much greater than the difference in price.

I cannot vouch for all small vendors, and I'm sure my post will generate some horror stories in reply, but my experience with Pogo Linux has been outstanding. They happen to be located in a small town called Redmond Washington.
helios

Nov 29, 2006
3:08 PM EDT
It was my pleasure...a moment I savored much too long as an employed professional in the field. The moment I speak of was personally cancelling 86K in desktop orders from Dell Computer. Did I say it was a pleasure...? It bordered on perverse and I even toyed with recording the actual phone call I made to enact this transaction. But...I didn't. Even a pervert has boundries.

While the computers were ordered so as to facilitate an upgrade to Vista later this year, I explained to My Boss, Chuck E. Owens, just why a smart business did not do business with Dell. It was enough for him and I am happy to report that a small whitebox manufacturer will be getting all of our business with no OS installed. I asked him if he was concerned about Microsoft hammering him for this decision. He just smiled and turned his swiveling monitor toward me on the other side of the counter.

The Fedora Core DNA strand desktop was proudly displayed.

I am glad to see the word is spreading. I want to thank this author and those who camp with him for your assistance in making this change.

h

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!