MS Get the Facts campaign appears on LXer...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
nicsmr

Nov 30, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
I hate to say this, but this is why I don't visit that other linux news web site.

Can't those adds be filtered out?

Nick
Libervis

Nov 30, 2006
9:41 AM EDT
You've seen it among google ads?

If yes that'd be new and would explain why LXer didn't see it coming. I didn't ever before see MS "Get the FUD" ads in adsense yet.

It can be easily filtered out with the competitive ad filter though (something I do frequently).

nicsmr

Nov 30, 2006
9:47 AM EDT
Yes on google ads.

Funny thing is that in my (limited) experimentation this morning, the left most add is always the FUD ad with different titles and the other changes as per usual.

Don't like advertising M$ on a linux site.

Libervis

Nov 30, 2006
10:57 AM EDT
Hmm I should watch out for it on my site to filter it out. Did you catch the URL?

I'd like to block it before I see it. ;)
nicsmr

Nov 30, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
when I click on the ad, the url is

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/getthefacts/default.mspx

Libervis

Nov 30, 2006
12:39 PM EDT
Oh, right, microsoft.com.. Now I realize the question was quite silly. I should just blankly block "microsoft.com". :)
dcparris

Dec 01, 2006
8:52 AM EDT
I don't know how I missed this. I also missed the ad. Sorry. Next time it happens, please e-mail the editors.

Thanks, Don
devnet

Dec 01, 2006
9:28 AM EDT
Gosh,

I really wanted to get the facts though ;P
hkwint

Dec 27, 2006
4:53 AM EDT
Hey, I go to the 'Get the Facts Home', and then there's the 'Highly reliable Times' with a story about the London Stock Exchange. I click on the link, and a _BLANK_ page shows up, not even an error msg. If that is the reliability the London Stock Exchange trusts on, I really hope 'our' own Euronext exchange (Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris and Lissabon) would merge with NYSE instead of London!

Same in Konqueror BTW. Those stupid fools only tested their Get the Fud site in Windows. Morons!
devnet

Dec 27, 2006
5:54 AM EDT
I use IIS whenever I need a blank page displayed. For some reason, it seems to be much better at displaying blank pages than apache is...dunno why. It's much more reliable at displaying those pages for me than any other webserver.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!