What?

Story: Novell abandons Hula open source collaboration projectTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
helios

Nov 30, 2006
4:52 PM EDT
...can {sic} not justify its investment in the project...."

Really?

You not only sell out the OpenSuse people with your "covenant" with Microsoft...now you're letting them tell you how NOT to spend the money they paid you? Ballmer on speedial...what a nightmarish thought.

Given your recent decision concerning The Hula Project, You are going to run out of feet before you run out of bullets.

BTW Novell, A recent conversation between one of your Netware project managers and myself revealed that "The Corporation" did not agree that necessity is always the mother of invention. Yes it is and I can prove it by providing you a simple historical fact:

Men began habitually donning underpants approximately 5 months after the advent of the pants zipper.

As in the suggested unfortunate incident, the best course of action is one you should carefully but quickly follow.

Slowly go back in the previous direction.

h
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2006
4:58 PM EDT
Well... IMO Hula is a waste of time. It's a mess that's been limping along forever. I think dumping it is a smart move. If Ballmer were as smart as he is evil, he would find a way to make Novell waste even more resources on it.
helios

Nov 30, 2006
5:22 PM EDT
That's a good point, but let us collectively hope he doesn't read LXer...you may have given him a new direction.

Anything is probably better than the one he is currently on. Nice point though...It's a shame they never drew the development talent needed for that important of a project.

trots off to rethink position>

h
jimf

Nov 30, 2006
5:39 PM EDT
> If Ballmer were as smart as he is evil

Well, he's certainly put Novell and the Linux community in a tizzy... The only question is how much of it is planned, and, how much is just evil dumb luck.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 30, 2006
5:51 PM EDT
>Men began habitually donning underpants approximately 5 months after the advent of the pants zipper.

**winces in pain at the thought and whimpers like a baby**
IGnatiusTFoobar

Nov 30, 2006
7:04 PM EDT
Ximian (aka Novell) deserve to have this project canned. They ripped off other people's ideas and then made a gigantic fanfare at LinuxWorld, sending ripples through the industry and everyone hailed them as the great innovators.

It was shortly after that announcement that I pointed out that Hula was a combination of abandonware (from Netmail, a product that was going to be discontinued) and vaporware (Nat Friedman and Jamie Zawinski getting everyone hyped up about "their" ideas).

Instead of hoping that volunteers will limp the project along, if you're looking for a good quality, turnkey, user-focused groupware platform, try Citadel [http://www.citadel.org] instead. Since the Ximian brats announced Hula about six months after we pitched Citadel to them, it's not difficult to see where they got the idea from. But unlike Hula, Citadel isn't vaporware. We delivered on what they only talked about.

Call it sour grapes if you want to, but I'm downright happy that the Hula project has been abandoned by Novell. I hope that as a volunteer-run project it continues to flop.
rijelkentaurus

Nov 30, 2006
7:28 PM EDT
>try Citadel

Never heard of it, but I'm installing a CentOS server to give it a whirl.

rijelkentaurus

Dec 01, 2006
5:24 PM EDT
>Never heard of it, but I'm installing a CentOS server to give it a whirl.

Easy install, fast web interface. I haven't played much with it, but it installed in less than .5 hour. P3 900mhz with 512mb RAM. Looks to be configured by default as pretty wide open, allowing anyone to log in, as though it's meant more for a forum than a groupware suite for an office. I am interested to see how I can tighten it down to make it fit into that environment. In any event, this is awfully promising and the install was almost laughingly easy.
IGnatiusTFoobar

Dec 22, 2014
1:30 PM EDT
Funny to see this thread again eight years after it happened. Hula became Bongo which became a dead project. Citadel is alive and well. Give it a try.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!