still not a breeze???

Story: Tux's progress, Indian StyleTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
jimf

Dec 02, 2006
8:43 PM EDT
> Linux installation is still not a breeze for the uninitiated.

This is the one that ticks me off every time I see it. Even the Debian netinstall is currently easier, more comprehensive, and a lot quicker than a Windows install.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 02, 2006
9:15 PM EDT
Yeah, and an install of Ubuntu, Mepis, PCLOS...even Kanotix/Knoppix...is so easy that someone with practically no experience can manage it. Most things about Linux are better and simpler than Windows, and it all starts at the install. It's also faster. I installed PCLOS on my laptop in under 30 minutes, and that included setting up wireless with WPA2 and all of the updates.
jimf

Dec 02, 2006
9:40 PM EDT
So, what do they consider 'the uninitiated'? Must be one of those guys that's 'dumb enough to eat rocks' that they were talking about in another thread.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2006
6:54 AM EDT
The choice of distro can still make some difference in the install, but it's true that installing Linux is not nearly so easy as booting up Windows that comes pre-installed.

Linux needs to be more than easier than Windows, it needs to be easy enough. Most of the time it's easy enough for most people. Sometimes, it still catches me...and I've been running linux for nearly ten years now.

But, starting with the first Caldera "tetris while you wait" install, Linux installers have been making incredible progress while Windows installers haven't.
Abe

Dec 03, 2006
10:02 AM EDT
Quoting:The choice of distro can still make some difference in the install,
I certainly agree with this statement.
Quoting: but it's true that installing Linux is not nearly so easy as booting up Windows that comes pre-installed.
This statement I sort of don't agree with. Pre-installed Windows is never complete, users always have to do additional setup where they still have to answer more questions than Linux LiveCD from PCLInuxOs or Kubuntu. Keep in mind that Linux comes with standard applications many more than any one can dream of having on Windows for free. Don't forget also that there are vendor drivers or, updates of, that users have to go through. Sometimes they have to download from the Internet or install from vendor companion CD. Any ways, I think some Linux installations are far ahead of Windows XP and MS is trying to catch up in Vista. If anyone still needs help with PCLOS or Kubuntu, it is only because they are totally computer illiterate or never used a computer before. That, no user friendliness can solve and can only be solved by hand holding support.

Like you said "Linux installers have been making incredible progress while Windows installers haven't.". I think the LiveCD installation is easier than the pre-installed Windows. Just today, my nephew (a complete computer idiot), asked me to install Linux on his old clunker Compaq Deskpro EN with IBM G54. I said "here is the CD, try it yourself and I will be around to help. This is what you do". Power up PC, quickly insert CD. when it is up and running, you will have an icon on the desktop "Install ...". Click it and follow the instructions. Take the default when in doubt.

He did it. I was surprised because if he can, any one can.

jimf

Dec 03, 2006
10:28 AM EDT
> not nearly so easy as booting up Windows that comes pre-installed

Which is true, but that wasn't their statement, or the point of my annoyance.

I do have to say that MS has perpetuated their 'Empire of Ignorance' by making their OS more difficult to install, then, making preinstalls the norm for new users. It's just gravy for MS if the new user learns nothing, and has to buy support services. User Ignorance ultimately benefits MS. I'm not so sure that preinstalls are an answer to anything for Linux.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2006
12:43 PM EDT
>Pre-installed Windows is never complete,

That's a great point that I sometimes forget. Your Windows installation isn't complete until you've obtained Office, or whatever other software you wish to use and installed it all.

From nothing to a complete installation has got to be both cheaper and easier with Linux.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 03, 2006
1:05 PM EDT
>until you've obtained Office, or whatever other software you wish to use and installed it all.

Or UNinstalled everything that gets put on there before it gets to you. Dell even installs things that I removed from peoples' PCs because they're spyware, and they get money from all of those little trial installs from McAfee and others. I always tell people that the best thing to do with a new PC is to reinstall the base OS (if they give you the discs to do that) instead of wrestling with a new PC that struggles under the weight of all the garbage it carries.
jimf

Dec 03, 2006
1:13 PM EDT
> the best thing to do with a new PC is to reinstall the base OS (if they give you the discs to do that) instead of wrestling with a new PC that struggles under the weight of all the garbage it carries.

Well, the best thing to do is to insert a PCLinuxOS (or any other Linux) disk in the CD and do a format and install :D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!