clueless journalism

Story: The Tao Of LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
herzeleid

Dec 04, 2006
3:32 PM EDT
To hear these industry pundits tell it, the linux desktop was revolutionized when Nat Friedman tacked a peecee GUI onto linux, thus transforming it into a windoze clone, which suddenly enabled people to relate to it.

Yeah right. - I haven't heard anything quite that clueless in awhile.

If i wanted windoze, I'd be running windoze - I prefer linux precisely because it's nothing like windoze. (of course, some here will immediately begin enumerating the sorts of similarities that exist among *all* operating systems).

I'm exposed to ms windoze regularly, and frankly I find it boring, tedious and awkward. Give me linux anyday, and vive la difference!
Sander_Marechal

Dec 04, 2006
3:43 PM EDT
> I'm exposed to ms windoze regularly, and frankly I find it boring, tedious and awkward.

Me too. I only occasionally use a Win box to backup my Nokia 6021 and it's as annoying as hell. Besides the DRM restrictions and in-your-face popups from the Nokia communicator, I get no less then 8 popups when booting up (I found a network! I found another one! I found a flash drive! Reboot to install updates! etcetera) and another 6 more when I hook up my phone through infrared (4 from Windows telling me it sees new hardware and two from the Nokia suite telling me it's connected a phone - surely that can be condensed into just 1).

A stark contrast to the mere two bubbles I get in Ubuntu ("new updates available" and "Your battery is now charged" - and I could even live without those two because I can see the taskbar icons just fine, thank you).

Also annoying: the bubbles don't close in Windows. You have to remove them all by clicking the X. In Ubunu I can just ignore them and they're gone in 10 seconds.
tuxchick

Dec 04, 2006
3:49 PM EDT
Even worse, the windoze junk often requires a Registry hack to disable it.
dcparris

Dec 04, 2006
3:58 PM EDT
I have to use Windows at work, but at home I am free. What really drove me crazy early on, but isn't so bad now, is that there used to be some pop-up message from Outlook caused when Exchange doesn't sync properly or something. I think I had to change a setting in Outlook's preferences to make it go away, but I was initially told I should keep it. Argghhh! I just got sick of it and disabled it anyway.
salparadise

Dec 05, 2006
5:08 AM EDT
You can disable the "balloons" in Windows by installing the tweakui powertoy, available for free from Microsoft. It does lots of other stuff too, like getting rid of that stupid arrow on the desktop shortcuts, disabling autorun and so on. It provides you with options that you work through and you choose which ones you want. Quite a useful little tool really.

Windows makes want to scream, then again, so does Ubuntu some of the time. But if you have to use it then at least you can gain some control over the "we decided you will want the OS to do this for you and provide you with no obvious way to stop it if you don't" design features.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 05, 2006
2:01 PM EDT
>then at least you can gain some control over the "we decided you will want the OS to do this for you and provide you with no obvious way to stop it if you don't" design features.

With Ubuntu I usually like to do a base server install and then build up what I want. The alt-install cd is great for that. Maybe Windows would be more palatable from a technical perspective if we could do something like that. Still, there's that whole evil corporation bent on world domination thing....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!