My prediction

Story: OSX more appealing than desktop Linux: GartnerTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
pat

Dec 08, 2006
8:03 PM EDT
Gartner will continue to make stupid predictions that fail to come true.
number6x

Dec 09, 2006
5:26 AM EDT
OSX is more appealing than Windows Vista.

Heck OSX is probably the most appealing desktop OS since NeXT. Oh wait, it is NeXT.

If you weren't there back in the late 80's, its hard to describe how incredible Next was at the time. Windows 3.1 and it's cartoon graphics that were not as advanced as the GS/OS interface wasn't around yet. Windows was a major step back in design.

Never mind.
dinotrac

Dec 09, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
6x -

I don't know about Mac in corporate life because that is not my gig. I understand that Mac is not free, and freedom matters to me.

But...

Macs are sweet systems.
number6x

Dec 09, 2006
2:29 PM EDT
No OSX is not free, but it is appealing in an design and beauty sense.

Linux is appealing to me for its freedom, its security, its savings, its stability, its immense wealth of applications. "Gosh! Like, whatever you want."

Stop by the offices of 37 signals west of the loop, or Thought Works in the Aon center and you'll see quite a few developers with Macs. At the first Rails Conf here in Chicago (June 2006), the power book count was greater than the Windows count. Linux was about 10%.

The feeling I got at the conference was that almost all of the Rails servers in production are Linux or Mac with about 2/3 Linux 1/3 Mac. deploying rails on Windows pretty much means charting your own course without a guide.

I think the Windows guys are starting to get it working though.

jimf

Dec 09, 2006
2:35 PM EDT
> it is appealing in an design and beauty sense

Some seem to think so :P Guess there's no accounting for taste...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!