Just Another tweaked Ubuntu

Story: Mandrake founder discusses new distroTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
devnet

Dec 09, 2006
6:38 AM EDT
Ulteo is Kubuntu based...

Screenshots I saw didn't strike me as significantly better than Kubuntu. I downloaded and tried it....nothing hugely revolutionizing like Mandrake was...only a few tweaked graphics. It's like the many Ubuntu clones out there...Ubuntu with a few things changed...something a metapackage or script could do with minimal effort from the full distro.
claydoh

Dec 09, 2006
9:10 AM EDT
I think they should have waited until they had more to offer than what seems to be a barely tweaked Kubuntu. It seems to me that they put something out just to offset the vaporware claims, but we won't know how the 'always updated" feature works until there are, well, updates. But then again, being an alpha, the overlying DE is probably taking a back seat to the development of Yuch (yuck!) and UGD, which is where the bulk of the development looks to be taking place.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 09, 2006
11:15 AM EDT
We'll see. I'm interested in seeing what he's able to do.
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2006
11:34 AM EDT
"release early, release often." In the proprietary world, these sorts of announcements mean vapor. In FOSS, it means the baby has just been born.

Gaël Duval turned the Linux world upside down with Mandrake. The olde geekbeards laughed- haha! Sissy Linux! But it is still one of the most popular distributions, and it attracted hordes of new Linux users. He has some interesting ideas. We shall see.
Koriel

Dec 09, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
Yup his credibility rating with me is high, i think this may be something worth keeping an eye on, true it could be just another Ubuntu but this guy has pulled rabbits out of the hat before lets see what he puuls out this time.
jimf

Dec 09, 2006
2:01 PM EDT
> Ulteo is Kubuntu based...

I really hate to see 'yet another' kbuntu clone, no matter how many 'enhancements' are added. I keep hoping someone will come up with a decent Debian/KDE desktop for new users that I can honestly recommend. So far I'm not seeing any, and the demise of Kanotix is really disheartening.

On the other hand Debian its self gets easier with every Installer release.
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2006
2:20 PM EDT
kanotix is officially demised? The site is up, though I've never been impressed with their broken repos and other site problems.
jimf

Dec 09, 2006
2:26 PM EDT
Well, not actually belly up, but certainly not in good shape. One of the main developers has left and they now say that it will be based on Ubuntu. To me that's as good as demised :(
devnet

Dec 09, 2006
8:16 PM EDT
I sure hope it's good...but we'll probably see its functions absorbed by Ubuntu before anything else earth shaking happens with Ulteo.
Abe

Dec 10, 2006
1:47 PM EDT
Quoting:kanotix is officially demised?
It sure looked like demised although it is not final. I really liked Kanotix, it was as good as PCLinuxOS plus a lot more. It is Debian/Knoppix based and very user friendly and has decent graphics. It has Klik and NX and very good hardware and software support. I used to check it out often but for about a year it was stagnant without any new release. It is too bad that the developers didn't have enough time and support to continue a very good distro. It is a shame because it was solid and reliable.

DEVNET is right, I think most its developers will be going to Kbuntu, which is not a total loss. As a matter of fact it might turn out to be for the better.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 10, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
Abe, I think devnet was talking about Ulteo's functions being absorbed by Kubuntu, not Kanotix.

I don;t agree with him though. It might be so for some of the user-visible changes, but from what I read Ulteo will becoe quite different at the core and those things may not be ported so easily to Ubuntu.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 11, 2006
3:00 AM EDT
http://www.sidux.com/

That's the one you want if you want Sid. That's where Stefan Lippers-Hollmann from Kanotix went.
Abe

Dec 11, 2006
5:50 AM EDT
sander
Quoting:Abe, I think devnet was talking about Ulteo's functions being absorbed by Kubuntu, not Kanotix.

I tell you, it is becoming pretty hard to concentrate on keeping up with posts on LXer and writing code at the same time.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 11, 2006
10:06 AM EDT
Tell me about it. Coding sprees untill 2 am are commonplace instead of an exception for me and my alarm usually goes off at 6:30!
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
10:28 AM EDT
Well then, prioritize! Sheesh, how can anyone think coding is more important than LXer ranting!
Sander_Marechal

Dec 11, 2006
12:33 PM EDT
I do! Just check my posting times and correct for GMT+1 :-D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!