Windows ads and teapot tempests

Story: Ubuntu Fiasco: The Dos and Don'ts of Hiring a DeveloperTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
8:40 AM EDT
Oh goody, another "Linux" site that runs Windows ads- ".Get Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade License NOW! ", which links to an HP page. Just what we need.

The event itself (Mark Shuttleworth's post on the OpenSUSE list) is hardly worth commenting on.
dek

Dec 11, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
Not entirely sure what you're going on here about, tc. Then again, I use adblock with FF so I don't see half the ads you may!

Don K,
joel

Dec 11, 2006
11:46 AM EDT
"Is it me,.." It appears that it is. I didn't get that impression at all. Otoh, It appeared to me that Mark was being a good neighbor of the GNU/Linux community, and perceived a potential need some of our fellow members at Novell may have, & let them know that he was willing to help.

I have been deeply mystified at the vilification Mark has had heaped upon him for that. Mark 's actions in this regard are the kind that increases my respect for him. That's the kind of man (or woman) I'd like to work for.

Not a _Ubuntu user yet, but definitely interested.
techiem2

Dec 11, 2006
12:00 PM EDT
I wondered about that add last time I read an article on that site. Adblock doesn't seem to catch it.

Really does make ya wonder.
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
12:04 PM EDT
The noxious Vista ad in question is a hyperlink at the end of the article:

"As Mark points out on his blog, there is no reason why OpenSUSE and Ubuntu cannot collaborate in an effort to further serve the Linux community as a collective. I can't speak for all of you, but this open invitation sounds pretty darned reasonable to me.

Get Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade License NOW!"

**spit**
techiem2

Dec 11, 2006
12:09 PM EDT
It seems to be in all Matt's articles this month.
jdixon

Dec 11, 2006
12:12 PM EDT
> The noxious Vista ad in question is a hyperlink at the end of the article:

Hmm... Didn't Mad Penguin just have a change in ownership? I begin to suspect the new ownership is not as FOSS enlightened as the founder was. Bad memories of Linux Today begin to surface.
TPuffin

Dec 11, 2006
12:37 PM EDT
Does anyone else find Shuttleworth's offer ironic in light of Ubuntu's decision to make proprietary binary blobs part of the default installation in the upcoming version?
jimf

Dec 11, 2006
12:59 PM EDT
Everyone seems to think that Novell /Suse is such a big threat. I personally think that Mark Shuttlesworth / Conical is just as much of a threat and even more of a problem.
dcparris

Dec 11, 2006
3:02 PM EDT
Wait til you guys hover your mice over the underlined "Linux distributions" phrase in the 2nd paragraph. A box pops up that offers to let you search for Linux distributions on Windows Live. :-(
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
Mad Penguin was purchased by ITech Media: http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/31/1658219&...

They also own CoolTechZone and OSWeekly.com.
jdixon

Dec 11, 2006
6:51 PM EDT
OSWeekly?!!! Mad Penguin is doomed.
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
7:09 PM EDT
You're not thinking of OSNews.com, are you? That would definitely be doom. OSWeekly is quite a bit calmer than OSNews.com.
jdixon

Dec 12, 2006
5:46 AM EDT
> You're not thinking of OSNews.com, are you?

Possibly. Let me check....

No. I was thinking of OSWeekly. OSNews is probably worse, but OSWeekly is bad enough.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!