Wishful thinking

Story: Free WindowsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
djohnston

Dec 11, 2006
3:49 PM EDT
Aside from the spelling and syntax errors, the author offers this:

"Now, I believe MS cannot stop this from happening eventually, but there is a way for them to delay it enough to succesfully lobby for a software patent reform or another sneaky way to hurt the free software movement. That way is to five [sic] Windows for free to the home user."

This is his sole argument for the "freeing" of Windows. I say it's wishful thinking because I don't believe that MS will ever offer free copies to OEM builders or to users.
jdixon

Dec 11, 2006
6:50 PM EDT
> This is his sole argument for the "freeing" of Windows. I say it's wishful thinking because I don't believe that MS will ever offer free copies to OEM builders or to users.

Well, maybe not, but I doubt they're bothering to pursue pirated copies of Windows 98SE either.
db0

Dec 11, 2006
11:24 PM EDT
I cannot with absolute certainty, decree that this will happen (I am not an oracle). To me, it does look like a probable outcome however.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 12, 2006
12:05 AM EDT
It may happen, but only if Microsoft manages to transfer itself into a publishing house -- something it has been trying for a long time now. Unfortunately MS has become addicted to the Windows and Office revenue streams. Even *if* MS manages to grab large parts of the online publishing maket and transforming Windows into simply a portal to push paid-for content through, then making Windows freeware will still cause enough of a revenue drop to make investors running.

And that's MS's biggest problem. It's addicted gigantic year-over-year profits to float the stock. It's a giant house of cards. If only a small part of it's investors start running then the whole superstructure collapses bankrupting MS, no matter how much money they have.
db0

Dec 12, 2006
4:51 AM EDT
Very well thought out. Thanks Sander. However, I do not think that they can continue with charging for windows when a better, safer OS it out there. Now that major companies like IBM are starting to stand behind GNU/Iinux I think it is only a matter of time before the rest, like HP and Dell start making a few tentative steps with pre-installed Linux.

When that happens, when simple users people realise that by going OEM linux they gain about $300 at least, (saving Windows/Office costs) then the flood gates of migration will open.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 12, 2006
6:32 AM EDT
Exactly. And that's their predicament. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. It's exactly why MS is fighting Linux so hard. Not because of a desire to control everything (well, that too) but because there's a large chance MS will collapse and bankrupt otherwise.

If MS had been smart it would have taken the 2001 US DoJ ruling to be broken up. During the chaos of the breakup they could have easily deflated their profits and turn the house of cards into a proper building ... while blaming it's financial setback on the DoJ.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!