Centralized Package Management

Story: Debian Etch: So Easy A Newbie Can Do ItTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
azerthoth

Dec 18, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
While I prefer 'apt-get install' or 'aptitude install' (aptitude see's recommended packages as dependancies and installs them for you). There is a GUI package manager for Debian.

synaptic

as with most debian based distros, as they say its just an apt-get away.

Nice and versatile, search function, and it will allow you to add in repositories like the always needed http://www.debian-multimedia.org, formerly marillats.

Nice to have another convert, and remember Ubuntu is swahili for "Cant configure Debian" (joking). I have used Ubuntu, but Debian for me is more versatile as I dont really need someone else's idea of what I should have and how it should be preconfigured for me.
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
synaptic is included in the default Debian desktop install.
dcparris

Dec 18, 2006
9:32 AM EDT
As far as apt goes, I can handle the command-line or Synaptic - I'm not picky with that. If you're referring to my comment on centralized system management, though, Yast does so much more than just packages. It's the closest equivalent I've seen to the Windows management console. Well, other than Webmin.
tuxchick

Dec 18, 2006
9:34 AM EDT
This is one of my buntu gripes. What the heck is the point of Adept? It's redundant and not easier to use than Synaptic. In fact it's a big fat PITA, because depending on which icon you click to open it, it presents a different interface. It is very non-obvious how to get to the window that you want. I keep messing with it just to stay up to date, and I always end up cussing and wishing it would go away.
azerthoth

Dec 18, 2006
9:44 AM EDT
I was refering to your package manager comment, it sounded as if you hadnt run across it. Sorry for that *sheepish grin*

And Jimf hit the nail on the head, it does come with the default installation. The problem being I cant remember the last time I did a default installation. I tend to forget what is and isnt included, just the steps I need to follow after I tell it I dont want to use any mirrors so I can break out of the automagic install. I personally dont like Gnome or KDE and dont use them, so I see no reason for either of them to be wasting HD space.

tuxchick nailed it, so easy a pig can do it.
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
9:45 AM EDT
> Yast does so much more than just packages

Yeah, but synaptic does 'just packages' much better. As for the rest, I supose it depends on how you prefer to manage.
Abe

Dec 18, 2006
9:50 AM EDT
Quoting:This is one of my buntu gripes. What the heck is the point of Adept?
I was puzzled about it myself but gave them the benefit of the doubts. I thought they might have something cooking for the future.

But I do give them credit for doing a great job on the automatic notification for upgrades. Once I thought Suse had the best upgrade/update mechinism, K/Ubuntu surpassed it. Kubuntu is improving at an astonishing rate and could very well be the dominant distro. I wonder if this is going to be dangerous.
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
10:09 AM EDT
> But I do give them credit for doing a great job on the automatic notification for upgrades.

Talk about duplication of function... Synaptic gives you much better information.
Abe

Dec 18, 2006
10:18 AM EDT
Quoting:Synaptic gives you much better information.
I didn't know Synaptic had AUTOMATED NOTIFICATION icon in the panel. Does it?
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
10:57 AM EDT
I said 'better' information.

Lol, you really need (or want) an 'automated' process.
tuxchick

Dec 18, 2006
11:06 AM EDT
The update notifications are nice. Do they need all the baggage of Adept? Seems like a separate mechanism to me, not something that needs a whole new package manager.

jdixon

Dec 18, 2006
11:29 AM EDT
> Ubuntu is swahili for "Cant configure Debian" (joking).

I heard it was "I'm too stupid to use Slackware". :) Though since Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, the Debian quote seems more appropriate.
Abe

Dec 18, 2006
12:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Lol, you really need (or want) an 'automated' process.

Me need? No, I don't. Want? Of course, why not? I am talking about user friendliness. Like TC said, it is nice to have as a reminder, especially for noobies.
dcparris

Dec 18, 2006
1:14 PM EDT
>Yeah, but synaptic does 'just packages' much better. As for the rest, I supose it depends on how you prefer to manage.

Yast let's you manage your hardware, networking (NFS, NIS, LDAP clients) and more, all from a single GUI interface for all of it. I actually like Yast, despite its well-known slow-ness. I mean, KDE and GNOME both seem to have similar tools, but I was used to Yast. I'm flexible, but Debian lacks a unified management tool.
jdixon

Dec 18, 2006
1:29 PM EDT
> I actually like Yast...

Well, the project is dead at the moment, but:

http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
1:35 PM EDT
> Debian lacks a unified management tool.

Well, I use KDE, which covers all those other functions. In fact they also have kpackage (although that's next to useless). And as you say, Gnome has similar tools...

I'm not sure that I need or want a specifically 'Debian' unified management tool, as it would involve a lot of unnecessary duplication.

I suppose that it's somewhat a matter of taste, but I always found that yast, and that one in mandrake were a little too windowish, and masked the process setup just a little too well.
miksuh2

Dec 18, 2006
4:55 PM EDT
> I didn't know Synaptic had AUTOMATED NOTIFICATION icon in the panel. Does it?

No, it does not, but you can use update-notifier and update-manager. Update-notifier is a daemon which notifies about package updates. If there is updates available update-notifier will show an icon in the desktop panels notification area. update-notifier works with GNOME, KDE, XFCE and other desktops which implement FreeDesktop notification area spesification.

If you click that icon on panel, update-manager will be started. Update-manager is a GNOME application that manages software updates. You can check and install updates with it easily.

Update-notifier and update-manager are part of the Debian Etch default gnome desktop. Youi can also intall those ehis way:

# apt-get install update-notifier

That command will install both update-notifier and update-manager
dcparris

Dec 18, 2006
5:11 PM EDT
jdixon: That link is pretty cool. I like the screenshots. Still, I can manage the .conf files just as well. As I said (here or somewhere), I'm flexible. :-)
Abe

Dec 19, 2006
5:58 AM EDT
Quoting:Update-manager is a GNOME application ... Update-notifier and update-manager are part of the Debian Etch default gnome desktop.
miksuh2:

Thanks for the info.. I looked at GNOME once but never used it. With KDE around and constantly improving, I don't think I will ever use GNOME unless I have to. I guess it is not to my taste.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!