my head it hurts

Story: Microsoft names three takers for its Linux supportTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 21, 2006
8:49 PM EDT
it hurts so bad my head it hurts it makes me sad

Please. Do not let me read any more articles like. I beg you, as my friends.
DarrenR114

Dec 22, 2006
4:58 AM EDT
Tuxchick:

You don't like learning about how the deal between Novell and MS might actually be helping the Linux community grow beyond its parochial origins?

This is an early indication that the outspoken critics were *WRONG* in their premature negative assessments.

16,000 people *using* Linux. Wow. I'm not sure I trust that MS will follow through on their expectation to distribute 70,000 certificates a year, but 16,000 is a good start. And those named clients - you can't overstate the significance of those three clients implementing Linux to any degree. Linux usage in places like those is like growing a pearl - you start with a small grain of sand and it grows into something beautiful, one small step at a time.
tuxchick

Dec 22, 2006
7:44 AM EDT
Darren, did you even read the article? It's pure empty PR junk, a big ole "rah rah we told you so." But it's devoid of substance. The final sentence is the headache-inducer:

"Microsoft's Hauser answered: "Customers were often very confused as to what rights they had from an intellectual property standpoint. They didn't want to have to figure it out, so we figured it out for them.""

Uh huh. And who generated all that customer confusion, if there even is any, in the first place? I'll give you a hint: it starts with Micro and ends with soft.

Why does Microsoft want to help sell SUSE Linux?

Microsoft can't kill a distributed community or the GPL, though they've tried mightily, and are going to keep trying. You're delusional if you really believe that their intentions are anything but deceitful, dishonest, and destructive to both Novell and Linux. 16,000 certificates activated does not mean 16,000 new users. It means as much as 16,000 advertising flyers stuffed under windshield wipers.

Why are you so adamant that this is a good deal? You must have missed all the patent threats that Ballmer himself made as a result of this deal. Isn't it funny how many new people show up defending Microsoft in forums when they launch yet another attack at FOSS and Linux. Yes, this deal probably will have the unintended consequences of promoting Linux in ways that Microsoft doesn't want. But there is no way it's intended to be a good deal for anyone but Microsoft.

swbrown

Dec 22, 2006
8:41 AM EDT
> This is an early indication that the outspoken critics were *WRONG* in their premature negative assessments.

They handed you koolaid with bugs and dirt in it and you still thought it'd be a good drink? :)

I mean, they're not really even trying to hide their intentions here. They're dumping the SuSE licenses on existing Microsoft 'friends' (Remember Deutsche Bank was their "$45 SCO price target" analyst shill) that also have RedHat to some degree in order to displace RedHat. They're not displacing any /Microsoft/ systems or helping Linux in the enterprise, and they're being quite candid about that. First with Balmer's original comments re what they'd do with the SuSE licenses, and now even in this story:

"Deutsche Bank already uses Microsoft software and SUSE Linux. Hauser hinted that Microsoft is not the one losing servers to SUSE at Deutsche Bank. "They may not be completely a SUSE shop in all parts of their organization," she said. "

They want to eat RedHat's lunch using Novell as a paid pawn (I'll leave it up to you to guess what happens to Novell once they decide RedHat has been sufficiently weakened in the marketplace). Simultaneously, they'll be having Novell build a migration path from Linux to Windows, and slave to Windows as a client using proprietary protocols rather than serve Windows clients using open ones. This is classic Microsoft.

I'm really not sure how anyone could see this as strengthening Linux in the enterprise, even at face value, seeing as there's no net gain of deployed Linux boxes. They've been rather candid about this when quoted as to not confuse their own investors.
DarrenR114

Dec 22, 2006
12:10 PM EDT
TC:

I absolutely agree - MS is one (of a few) entity at the heart of FUD about Linux.

I'm looking at this thing from 2 angles -

1. If these are actually for real Linux seats at these clients, that's nothing but good news for the propagation of Linux. It really gives ammunition to shoot back at MS. Think about it - counterpoint to MS presentators (if anyone is fortunate enough to present at their sales pitches):

Linux Shill: "If Linux is so bad, then why are you providing support for it?"

MicroSerf: "We're not supporting it, we're just providing certificates for support through another company."

Linux Shill: "So you're pawning a bad product on us through one of your partners?"

MicroSerf: "yes."

===============================================

2. If these certificates aren't being used for real Linux seats, then that's just money that MS is throwing away. It may not be much, but even the mightiest oak starts from a tiny acorn.

===============================================

If decision makers are going to be swayed by threats of legal action from MS, then more power to Novell for making a unique selling point. Any sheep that can't see through the wool that the wolf is wearing deserves to be shorn.

This does *not* mean that Novell is putting out GPLed software that is encumbered by patents. The public promise by MS not to sue has about as much effect as the Linux Indemity offers by Redhat, HP, et al. Just because Redhat or HP promised to cover your legal expenses doesn't mean that you're going to get sued.

Then again, life insurance is no guarantee that you're not going to die.
tuxchick

Dec 22, 2006
12:38 PM EDT
Ok, so maybe we're not so far apart. I am going to retire from the discussion with this summary: the intent behind the deal is indisputably no good for Novell or Linux. I will go my grave shaking my cane and railing about that. But the actual results could very well be surprising to the Redmond godfathers. And I will laugh my butt off when it happens. I will go so far as to say there is a strong possibility that all parties will benefit. I've never seen FOSS as an enemy to Microsoft- "a rising tide lifts all boats." It's their own megalomania and greed that keeps so many fresh bullet wounds in their feet.

I take back troll. I am sorry and you can have my Brussels sprouts for the next month.
DarrenR114

Dec 22, 2006
2:24 PM EDT
TC:

'sall good ... ;)

BTW, I'd much prefer cauliflower or broccolli, if you don't mind.

dinotrac

Dec 22, 2006
11:23 PM EDT
>BTW, I'd much prefer cauliflower or broccolli, if you don't mind.

Ah, Darren! And to think, somewhere in one of these threads, I stood up for you.

Nothing against cauliflower or broccoli, but Brussels sprouts are the true veggie of Linux love. They are small, powerful, good for you in so many ways, yet overlooked by the vast majority of veggie buyers.

That broccoli?...it'll tart itself up in a million ways to appease the masses. You can eat it raw, make broccoli slaw, or get it in soup with cheese and all. And cauliflower? How many cold veggie platters included little cauliflower florets with some indefinable dipping sauce? If that's not a virus transport system, I don't know what is.

True believers eat Brussels sprouts. End of discussion.
DarrenR114

Dec 23, 2006
9:34 AM EDT
Quoting: True believers eat Brussels sprouts. End of discussion.

My wife does make a really delicious casserole with lots of different kinds of cheeses, bread crumbs, and Brussels sprouts. So I guess to remain a card-carrying Penguinista, I'll have to eat them more often.

;=)

jimf

Dec 23, 2006
11:15 AM EDT
> True believers eat Brussels sprouts.

Absolutely... Just don't overcook them like most do :P

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!