An opportunity to miss?

Story: Microsoft hiring "open source evangelist"?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 23, 2006
3:35 PM EDT
It's so easy to say no, but you wonder sometimes...

At some point, Microsoft simply has to face reality. Free software isn't going anywhere. Anywhere, that is, except most of the large accounts to whom Microsoft sells or hopes to sell. The United States, Western Europe, and Japan, are highly saturated, but explosive business opportunites lurk in Africa, Easter Europe, South America, India, and most place in Asia that are not pronounced "Japan".

Coincidentally, those are also places where Linux and free software have made great inroads.

To reach its full potential, Microsoft really does need to embrace free software - and not just to extend it into something different.

If they were looking for an internal evanagelist, one to take up the case of free software within the company, one to help them make the transition (and piles of money), that could be a job worth having.

azerthoth

Dec 23, 2006
4:43 PM EDT
I like this, from an anon poster from that same story:

"Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son".

MS version. "Join me, and we can rule the IT industry as MS cronies"...

Response? Noooooooooooo!!!!
hkwint

Dec 23, 2006
4:50 PM EDT
Quoting:one to help them make the transition
All they need for that, is someone to kick Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and more sad figures like that in the but As Hard As Possible ®.
dinotrac

Dec 23, 2006
8:10 PM EDT
>All they need for that, is someone to kick Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer and more sad figures like that in the but As Hard As Possible ®.

Not sufficient, perhaps, but a good start.
pat

Dec 23, 2006
8:49 PM EDT
I'll do it for 1 billion dollars. Then, I'll pull a Ballmer and say that "Windows contains Linux IP", after I get my check. Muhahahahaha.
swbrown

Dec 24, 2006
2:25 AM EDT
It's completely insane to treat this as a legitimate 'outreach' attempt when they're actively attacking it at the same time. They're just looking for someone to be their tool.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!