snorting the poinsettias

Story: Microsoft's Apple Mistake, Apple's Artificial Image, Open Source ...Total Replies: 32
Author Content
jimf

Dec 25, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
> Has Enderle been smoking the poinsettias laying around the office? - dcparris

He's been doing some kind of drug. Rarely have I seen anything that disjointed. Is there really a point to it all?
dcparris

Dec 25, 2006
2:01 PM EDT
That was my question - what's the point?
jimf

Dec 25, 2006
2:14 PM EDT
> That was my question - what's the point?

I think he was trying to say that 'in a pinch', banana peels, poinsettias, or even apples will get you high??? :D
dcparris

Dec 25, 2006
3:30 PM EDT
:D
tuxchick

Dec 25, 2006
8:44 PM EDT
You guys are soooo mean. Mr. Enderle gets high on life, man.

Ow, dangit, I broke my face trying to keep it straight.
dcparris

Dec 25, 2006
9:13 PM EDT
I think you can find some help for that on the users _at_ broken-faces d0t org list. :-D
tuxchick

Dec 25, 2006
9:20 PM EDT
Don, is that a 12-step group for people trying to heal from reading enderle's columns?
swbrown

Dec 26, 2006
12:34 AM EDT
The guy is getting really scary, going off his rocker or something. I hope he doesn't wind up like Maureen O'Gara and start stalking people.

I can't help but laugh at this, though:

"Finally, it seems strange, but most of the folks I see active on the topic of open source Latest News about open source seem to be less than open about who they actually are -- let alone who they work for and what their agenda is."

A paid Microsoft shill to write against Open Source complaining about OTHERS not being open with who they work for and what their agenda is when they write about Open Source. Amazing. The best defense is a good offense? :)
jezuch

Dec 26, 2006
3:23 AM EDT
We're hiding who we really are? Nobody asked us!!
jimf

Dec 26, 2006
3:26 AM EDT
> We're hiding who we really are? Nobody asked us!!

That's because they couldn't find you... you're hiding, remember :D .
dinotrac

Dec 26, 2006
4:04 AM EDT
Every now and then Rob says stuff that makes sense and this is one of those times.

If only it weren't buried in so much drivel.

He's right about Microsoft and the Zune and the Xbox. Bad businesses for Microsoft. The Zune, especially. The bloom is going off the iPod and plenty of competition exists in that market. They'll sell some Zunes, just as they have sold Xboxes. The question is whether they'll make any money.

As to secretive open source security folks, it's pretty clear that I went to the wrong Christmas party. Wherever Rob was, they must've had some serious egg nog.
dcparris

Dec 26, 2006
6:46 AM EDT
O.k., I confess. I'm really just a 'dumb' security guard, working for a large North American security firm, working at a small construction industry business. It's true; I don't really work for Microsoft. Oh yeah, I also pastor a small house-church on a volunteer basis. Some have suggested that I work for my wife. So now you know all of my business connections.

Ah, true confession is good for the soul!

But I am curious about something. I designed a database back-end, at that time using the secret cover of "evangelinux". I can only surmise, based on Enderle's claims, that the back-end really was poor quality since I didn't use my real name.

/runs around pulling out hair. Ouch! I forgot. I don't have any hair.
tuxchick

Dec 26, 2006
8:18 AM EDT
Oh great, outed again. I hate when people find out I'm the infamous MCSE who was on the grassy knoll.
jimf

Dec 26, 2006
8:21 AM EDT
> the infamous MCSE who was on the grassy knoll.

Wow! I'm impressed :D
swbrown

Dec 26, 2006
9:19 PM EDT
> He's right about Microsoft and the Zune and the Xbox.

Their Xbox business makes sense in that Microsoft survives by being the base platform for everyone else - exerting control at that level is where their money comes from. Capture the platform, tie it in to other controlled platforms (e.g., the forthcoming Xbox Live for Vista), and profit. Since they were late to the party, that's not going to happen by pressuring the existing players. I'm not sure what they see in the Zune, though - maybe they're worried about such systems evolving into more of a platform than a player, or that since they're focusing on DRM with Vista, they want to capture any platform that might be using DRM so it uses their DRM, making for a virtual DRM 'platform'.
dinotrac

Dec 26, 2006
11:36 PM EDT
>Since they were late to the party, that's not going to happen by pressuring the existing players.

Gosh. Could that be why it doesn't make any sense? A business plan that doesn't work?

G-O-L-L-Y!!! Surprise, surprise.
swbrown

Dec 27, 2006
12:42 AM EDT
> Gosh. Could that be why it doesn't make any sense? A business plan that doesn't work?

Their Xbox business plan definately is working. They're going to be sharing the dominant position this round with the Wii after having killed Sony, and the coming Xbox Live tie-in and forced "Games for Windows" campaign against Vista developers is phase 2. After that, Microsoft can force others to support its platform, which is why they're quite willing to lose billions on it today. Rob doesn't understand this sequence of events, but then Rob doesn't understand much other than what he's told when paid.
dinotrac

Dec 27, 2006
2:22 AM EDT
>they're quite willing to lose billions on it today.

Funny way of working, but Microsoft is one of the few companies that can afford to lose billions.

As the Wii demonstrates, Microsoft's heft means less in video games than it does in personal computers. I heard people giving Nintendo for dead, speculating that it would stop making hardware and focus on games. Then comes the Wii with that funky controller and...Bingo! Both XBox and PS3 have more powerful graphics, but Wii offers a different experience.

Microsoft has no natural advantage in that market. It has neither Sony's hardware design and manufacturing capability or Nintendo's -- I don't know what to call Nintendo's gift, but they have always had a real knack for good game play. Don't know if you've ever read Blue Ocean Strategies, but Microsoft seems like a red ocean (outcompete, cut costs, give more, bigger, better) company in a blue ocean (innovate, change the rules of the game, make the competition irrelevant) category.

number6x

Dec 27, 2006
6:30 AM EDT
"Apple actually licenses the core of its OS, which is Unix-based, and focuses on design and usability. "

Who does Apple license it from? They bought NeXT, and got the BSD based 'core' of its OS from the Next OS. Since NeXT was BSD based it is Unix, not licensed from Unix.

Heck that old AT&T v. BSD lawsuit ended up showing the world that there was more BSD in Unix, than there was Unix in BSD!

Unless he means that Apple licenses Unix using the BSD license. He sure has a weird way of saying that though. Its almost like he wants to hide the fact that there is a completely Open Source version of Unix anyone can license for free.

Rob is being less than completely open with the things he's trying to say to his readers.
swbrown

Dec 27, 2006
6:50 AM EDT
> Who does Apple license it from? They bought NeXT, and got the BSD based 'core' of its OS from the Next OS.

Actually, they took FreeBSD, hacked on it some, renamed it Darwin, and relicensed it APSL.
jimf

Dec 27, 2006
7:30 AM EDT
> Actually, they took FreeBSD, hacked on it some, renamed it Darwin, and relicensed it APSL.

It would appear that all these proprietary guys are just unable to come up with a working OS on their own. Over and over they have to buy or outright steal something that already works. Remember that even Sun had to buy Unix, and MS can never get it right in spite of billions being pored into the effort... I see that the headlines in the popular press now proclaim that 'Vista has flaws', and that, 'this is the last OS that MS will produce'..... Why am I not surprised.
number6x

Dec 27, 2006
7:40 AM EDT
Wasn't Sun founded by the some of the guys from Berkeley that workd on BSD?

Going commercial with what you did at University was pretty common in that era of software development.

Later Linus went the GPL route.
jimf

Dec 27, 2006
7:46 AM EDT
> Wasn't Sun founded by the some of the guys from Berkeley that workd on BSD?

Actually a lot more complicated than that :D

http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/
number6x

Dec 27, 2006
7:56 AM EDT
I was thinking of Bill Joy. He was one of the primary developers of BSD at Berkeley, and one of the founders of Sun.

The BSD and Sun Microsystems stuff started in the late 70's. AT&T had started Unix in '69.

My point was that the some of the guys who wrote BSD wrote Solaris.

And my earlier point was that Next OS predates Darwin by about a decade. The BSD/Mach kernel got to Mac OSX through Steve Jobs and Next. Darwin is the non-proprietary parts re-packaged and given back to the community.

But you are right about how much proprietary stuff is built on Open Source code. At least the guys at Apple and Sun admit it.

I wonder how much more of Windows is open source than they are willing to admit?
jimf

Dec 27, 2006
8:16 AM EDT
> I wonder how much more of Windows is open source than they are willing to admit?

DOS was purchased from DRDOS, Windws 95 had heavy development support from IBM. NT is possibly the only OS that MS can really claim any credit for... But, as I remember NT was primarily developed by engineers pirated from the DEC VMS project, so, even that's iffy. If you sort through any of the Windows system files, you see a lot of names very similar to stuff in BSD....
number6x

Dec 27, 2006
8:32 AM EDT
Microsoft hired almost the entire development team from DEC to work on NT after the split with MS on OS/2:

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/blog/archives/2005/10/ba...

MS ended up paying Digital $150M for the things NT 'borrowed' from VMS. The work on NT pre-David Cutler was work payed for by IBM on OS/2. The NT that came out of the whole effort was pretty stable. Then MS started basing their desktop OS on it and moved more and more functionality out of user space and into kernel space. This brought back the BSoD.

Don't get me started on virtual device drivers.

This is why MS has been so succsesful. They let others innovate, and then cherry pick the results. Innovation is for the losers. Microsoft saves money by letting others do their development. By staying well behind the high tech curve they don't have to waste effort or money.

azerthoth

Dec 27, 2006
11:18 AM EDT
Back on topic for a second:

Using screen names, pen names, nick names, (nom de guerre et al) does not make things inaccurate or even "shady". Its a long established practice that predates the internet by one or two millenia (no sarcasm). Just like using your real name would make anything you or I say any more accurate, people have been wrong since before there were others that cared if someone was right or wrong.

note, I would have posted that for his readership, but I would have had to take a shower after making the account and I'm at work.
Libervis

Dec 27, 2006
1:23 PM EDT
That everybody uses code by somebody else is actually pretty normal. Obviously even proprietary software companies do it. It's just that you don't get to see what they've taken from others. It is non transparent.

And that is what is slowly killing the proprietary model. You can't just take from others and incorporate it into your proprietary OS forever. At one point or another something will go wrong. With Free Software we don't have to worry about this stuff. It's just pure transparent innovation without shame or regrets. Rather than being secretive about taking from others, we have that as practically a norm.

We take and build on it, something even better which can then again serve as a base for something even better made by someone else.. and so this spiral continues on and on..
devnet

Dec 27, 2006
7:43 PM EDT
I just want you all to know that my real name is Dirk Diggler. I've come out from my shady hiding space at Yet Another Linux Blog because Rob made me feel "Oh-so-guilty" about concealing my true identity.
dcparris

Dec 27, 2006
10:32 PM EDT
Well, this also raises a question. Is it possible to be a GNU/Linux shill? I mean, honestly, the pay sucks big time.
techiem2

Dec 28, 2006
4:14 AM EDT
haha. Yeah. Wouldn't it be great if a nice shiny quad opteron dual core server showed up on your doorstep to "encourage" you to blog more about linux? (kinda related to this discussion and the newer article about bribing)
dinotrac

Dec 28, 2006
4:22 AM EDT
>Well, this also raises a question. Is it possible to be a GNU/Linux shill? I mean, honestly, the pay sucks big time.

What are you talking about?

I happen to know that you get an awful lot of software free.

That's got to be worth something.
dcparris

Dec 28, 2006
6:54 AM EDT
Oooooh, busted! :-D

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!