weirdo article

Story: Big Blue cheaper than Red HatTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 03, 2007
11:13 AM EDT
This article doesn't even make sense, it's comparing software to hardware. IBM run Red Hat on its big iron, duh- I think that poinsettia smoke is getting popular.
jimf

Jan 03, 2007
11:17 AM EDT
> I think that poinsettia smoke is getting popular.

Naw, poinsettia season is past. They're back to smoking plain old banana peels ;-).
herzeleid

Jan 03, 2007
11:22 AM EDT
It probably would have been better titled as "big blue cheaper than dell" or somesuch.
dinotrac

Jan 03, 2007
11:47 AM EDT
>This article doesn't even make sense, it's comparing software to hardware.

Haven't quite recovered from New Year's eve, I see.

The headline seems to compare hardware and software, but the article talks about a mainframe vs a roomful of servers.
DarrenR114

Jan 03, 2007
11:54 AM EDT
PHB perspective:

1. IBM cheaper than Red Hat - it says so right here. 2. MS-Windows servers cheaper than IBM (insert any of a number of biased "case studies" that are believable to PHBs). Conclusion - MS-Windows *must* be cheaper than Red Hat.

With the sudden crop of "Red Hat is not great" articles over the past couple of months, I have to ask: is it just me, or does anyone else see some invisible stringpulling going on with Red Hat as the target of a very subtle FUD campaign?
jimf

Jan 03, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
> the target of a very subtle FUD campaign?

MS revenge for RH turning down their offer?
tuxchick

Jan 03, 2007
12:47 PM EDT
Subtle? I wouldn't say subtle. It's definitely an anti-Red Hat FUD campaign, and about as subtle as a kick in the behind.
jimf

Jan 03, 2007
12:49 PM EDT
> about as subtle as a kick in the behind.

Yep, that's MS alright.
tuxchick

Jan 03, 2007
12:52 PM EDT
duhveloperz! duhveloperz! **sweat, fling chair**
rijelkentaurus

Jan 03, 2007
1:29 PM EDT
>"Red Hat is not great"

I love Red Hat. I'm using CentOS right now. Add the Wieers repo, play DVDs and all that fun stuff.

One little thing that would make it even better is a nice, slick web interface to manage it. You know, like Zero Touch Linux. Wait, that's coming out soon. I contacted Trustix and they say the ZTL interface for Red Hat should be out by the end of the month. I hope so.

Is this off topic? Sorry, I am SOOO sick right now. I am a booger factory and my eyes are constantly watery.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!