Hmmm

Story: Sun to License OpenSolaris Under GPLv3Total Replies: 5
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Jan 18, 2007
6:46 AM EDT
This could possibly force the hand of the Linux kernel developers and make them adopt GPLv3. I could be wrong and I don't want to start a fight, but I think it is highly likely. Those proponents of the GPLv3 must surely look at Solaris as an attractive alternative to Linux...it has my attention now, not that I'll switch...but I could be tempted.

:)
Sander_Marechal

Jan 18, 2007
8:10 AM EDT
It doesn't matter how often you say it, but the Linux kernel *cannot* be converted to GPL3. In all practical terms it's impossible to get authorisation of all the kernel developers (or their heirs, employers, etcetera).
rijelkentaurus

Jan 18, 2007
1:34 PM EDT
>It doesn't matter how often you say it, but the Linux kernel *cannot* be converted to GPL3.

Good point. I might be seeing Solaris in my future, I haven't decided yet. There's no guarantee that the kernel staying on v2 is going to be a problem. Stallman doesn't seem to think so. We'll see.
jimf

Jan 18, 2007
1:51 PM EDT
> I might be seeing Solaris in my future

V3 or not, IMO that's really warped... But hey, whatever rocks your world ;-)...
bigg

Jan 18, 2007
1:53 PM EDT
> V3 or not, IMO that's really warped... But hey, whatever rocks your world ;-)...

Why is that? You don't like Solaris?
jimf

Jan 18, 2007
2:09 PM EDT
So you're running a Solaris kernel... Does that mean that the Solaris file system is gonna be v3?... I'm Just not seeing the justification here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!