I'd switch

Story: GNU/Solaris - the Free OS of the Future?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
purplewizard

Jan 19, 2007
7:49 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure I would move to it provided it didn't mean a step backwards in graphics drivers. Perhaps Sun would be able to have a nice word with some of the manufacturers to get them to GPL the drivers.

I did come to appreciate the, I think, correct analysis of Linus on one of the issues though. Defining a license for the OS to deal with a problem relating to the copyrighted material it might play does seem wrong tool wrong job. That is just one issue of course.
jsusanka

Jan 19, 2007
8:27 AM EDT
sure wish sun, ubuntu, redhat, and all the other distros would get together and start putting pressure on the pc makers and hardware makers to get with the program and fully support linux.

I want a linux desktop - and I want the dells, gateways etc to sell a linux laptop, desktop. how about pooling together your money and getting some adds on tv - i.e the superbowl. I want to start shoving linux down the average Joe's throat the way windows is shoved down mine everyday.

I am sure if these linux, unix distro vendors got together and put pressure on them I think things would really change. I am tired of all the fighting between ubuntu vs redhat - redhat vs sun - novell vs sun - IBM vs sun - etc etc - how about ubuntu, redhat, sun, novell, linspire, xandros, debian, mandrake, IBM etc etc vs microsoft. this is what we should be fighting not among ourselves.

anyway my two cents worth.
Libervis

Jan 19, 2007
10:02 AM EDT
Well that might even happen. Sun seems to be embracing the community helping the community embrace Sun. They might do a lot of good for FOSS in general.

As for GNU/Linux vs. Solaris I don't really care too much. As long as it's a good Free OS that works I'm happy and with Free Software basically any application that works on GNU/Linux will work on Solaris and vice versa. Just compile it. :)

It's not the kind of dramatic switch as it is between Windows and GNU/Linux.
tuxchick

Jan 19, 2007
10:26 AM EDT
I get the impression the main tension inside Sun over the GPL is giving up control of the code. Not sure what they're worried about, because folks are smart enough to know the difference between "Genuine Sun" code and some manky fork. Or maybe it's a superior fork that worries them. But then they can take the good stuff from the good fork and put in the "Genuine Sun" edition. So- no worries. :)

> It's not the kind of dramatic switch as it is between Windows and GNU/Linux.

Truer words were never spoken. It's like moving from Bosnia to Palm Beach.
SFN

Jan 19, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
I'd be willing to switch too, provided it meant I didn't have to use Solaris.

Oh, wait.............
dcparris

Jan 19, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
I am much more likely to consider Solaris now. ;-)
pogson

Jan 19, 2007
5:37 PM EDT
For a server, maybe. I cannot see enough drivers for a more diverse platform like the desktop. There are a few Solaris sites in the top 25 hosters on Netcraft: http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/Hosters
jimf

Jan 19, 2007
5:55 PM EDT
> I am much more likely to consider Solaris now. ;-)

I trust Sun more than MS, but, that's only relative. I think I'm gonna wait and see how this goes before I jump to. I also agree with pogson that this has a lot more impact on the server environment.
tracyanne

Jan 20, 2007
11:30 PM EDT
quote::I am sure if these linux, unix distro vendors got together and put pressure on them I think things would really change. ::quote

So do I

quote:: I am tired of all the fighting between ubuntu vs redhat - redhat vs sun - novell vs sun - IBM vs sun - etc etc - how about ubuntu, redhat, sun, novell, linspire, xandros, debian, mandrake, IBM etc etc vs microsoft. this is what we should be fighting not among ourselves. ::quote

It's really annoying, I'm sure that at some level they must understand that by coming together on certain key issues they can create a much bigger market for themselves. I can't understand why they don't, but insist on fighting over the crumbs, so to speak, at least as far as Desktop computing is concerned, among themselves.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!