Beautiful

Story: PCLinuxOS 2007 Test 1 ScreenshotsTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Fritz

Jan 22, 2007
5:29 PM EDT
PCLinuxOS was beautiful before, but I think that this sets a new standard for the Linux desktop.

-> Fritz
SFN

Jan 23, 2007
4:23 AM EDT
I realize that this is going to sound like a snippy little comment and I really don't mean it to be.

The PCLinuxOS folks are doing great job but It just looks like KDE. Sure, the installer and login screen are very nice but once you're at the desktop it's just KDE. I don't see how this sets a new standard for beauty.
bigg

Jan 23, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
This is not snippy either...

I honestly hate the "Fisher-Price" look of KDE that many others have written about. I usually use xfce and sometimes gnome.

PCLinuxOS is about the only KDE desktop I can handle. Many changes have been made from the KDE defaults. For me, at least, I agree that PCLinuxOS is a nice looking desktop. If they had the package selection of Debian, I would consider using it on a regular basis.

I also applaud them for consistency across the main packages. There is a consistent look to OOo and Firefox, for instance.
Abe

Jan 23, 2007
6:55 AM EDT
I tested PCLinuxOS 2007 briefly last night and I have mixed feelings about it. Functionality wise it is as good as ever but with more functions, features, configuration tools, and more bells and whistles in a tasteful fashion. It is a little too dark for me since I like moderately light colors more. That shouldn't be a problem and can be changed although I like to to go with the default. I am not going to wait for the final release. I will install it on a test machine tonight to check it out thoroughly since I am still debating between Kubuntu & PCLinuxOS. They sure did a pretty nice job on this latest release.

In terms of package selections, I think they have a lot more than before but most importantly is the latest releases of most applications. I will post about my experience with it later in couple days
helios

Jan 23, 2007
7:16 PM EDT
Word of warning, and trust me on this...Please. there are going to be some things changed in the final release that you will kick yourself in the @$$ for if you do this now.

I'd like to tell you more but then I'd have to kill...uh, I'd have to speak very harshly to you.

;-)

Please...trust me on this. Give it a few days. The difference between the final pclos 2007 and Kbuntu will be stunning....and that is taking into consideration the advantage Kbntu has as a debian based distro. It's that radical.

h
Abe

Jan 23, 2007
7:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Word of warning, and trust me on this.
OK Hellos, I will wait on reporting on it but I already started some testing. I have a computer that I only use for testing and as soon as the new release is out, I will wipe out the old one and install the new one.

I already see some signs of major improvements and I hope the final release will be as good as you say.

Thanks for the warning by the way.
tuxtom

Jan 23, 2007
10:23 PM EDT
It's really not that hard to tweak KDE on any distro to get great eye candy. I've been using MEPIS for a couple years now and have come up with some beautiful desktops. For everyday use, however, I pretty much stick to stock. Spend most of my time in a shell or Opera (yes, I'm a sinner) anyway.

That being said...that PCLinuxOS sure is some pretty work and will definitely attract users to Linux.
SFN

Jan 24, 2007
4:15 AM EDT
Quoting:and that is taking into consideration the advantage Kbntu has as a debian based distro. It's that radical.

*perk*

I've never been much of a Kubuntu fan. It always seemed to have problems that Ubuntu didn't have. That last statement has my curiosity aroused, though.

Is it safe to assume there will be some big announcement about this change?
techiem2

Jan 24, 2007
10:04 AM EDT
mmmm. Can't wait.

I setup PCLinuxOS recently on an old box for my mom to use. Normally I'm a gentoo nut, but the box has an evil cpu which is apparently quite a pain to work with, so I figured I'd give this PCLinuxOS thing a try. :)

Anyhow, the current version is nice, and mom seems to like it (as long as she has a web browser, text editor, and email, she's happy..well...and have *cough*msn*cough* as her homepage. *sigh*). She even noticed the multiple desktop switcher the other day and asked me about. She wants me to give her a better overview of the box when we have time. The only thing I noticed was missing was audacious, but apparently that's in the new version?

helios

Jan 24, 2007
7:41 PM EDT
some big announcement about this change?....

I may have mis-spoke and if so, it was not my intention. The changes between the beta on release now and the final will have a culmination of several improvements usually held back until the final release. It's not so much one great "killer feature", as it is a number of small but impressive and important improvements that vault PCLOS over some of the more touted distros.

My apologies if I led anyone to think there would be a huge feature introduction...

k

ps...then again, I am not in the "golden" golden circle...who knows?

;=}
techiem2

Jan 24, 2007
7:49 PM EDT
Quoting:ps...then again, I am not in the "golden" golden circle...who knows?

You mean the psychic control interface might be in there!? ;)

helios

Jan 25, 2007
2:47 AM EDT
xactly

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!