Everyone seems to miss Jahshaka

Story: Video Editing: From Windows to LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
pastored

Jan 23, 2007
9:39 PM EDT
I've been doing Linux video editing for over a year now. I agree that Cinelerra is a bit crashy, but I've learned to live with it, because I don't want to pay for MainActor (and using a warez version of it for Linux isn't an option).

However, I've noticed that a lot of these "video editing" reviews seem to completely miss the Jahshaka application. I first heard about Jahshaka from a livecd, and it looks pretty interesting.

I'd love to read a second part to this review where the writer compares Jahshaka to MainActor.
SFN

Jan 24, 2007
4:24 AM EDT
I've used Jahshaka and you're right. It does "look" interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't deliver. That's not to say that its concepts are not solid. If it did what it was supposed to do, it would be THE video editing app, not just for Linux but across all OSes. However, there are a number of areas where it just doesn't work as advertised. Check through the forums and you will find a large number of posts from people who aren't the usual bitchers and moaners but are legitimately concerned about the multiple failures of a product with so much promise.

As a result of this article, I finally decided to download the demo of MainActor last night. Having played with it for a couple of hours, I've decided to bite the bullet and shell out the money for it. It's well worth it.
dinotrac

Jan 24, 2007
6:48 AM EDT
A question:

I've only used the "Official" Cinelerra. It's not too bad on my Athlon 64, though I have never figured out how to make the video de-noiser do anything. Has anybody here used teh "Unofficial CVS" version? Is it any better?

Cinelerra's not too bad for the stuff that I have to do, especially since it allows me to work with non-compressed files and has a pretty decent effects pipeline, compositing, etc.

Haven't looked at MainActor in a long time. Maybe I should...Cinelerra updates have really slowed down.

Go Bears. Go Rex Gr OSS man.
SFN

Jan 24, 2007
8:27 AM EDT
On one of my boxes I use elive and it comes with Cinelerra-cv installed by default.

I have to say, it's the best implementation of Cinelerra I've tried. Much less slow than others I've tried and I've actually been able to make it useful. But, no, the video denoiser is still pretty much pointless.

The nice thing with MainActor's demo is it's fully functional. It just puts a watermark on your video that goes away once you enter the activation key you get upon purchasing it. So you can edit an entire project and know whether or not you it really is going to work for you.
techiem2

Jan 24, 2007
10:12 AM EDT
So on a semi-on-topic subject to you video people:

What's your program setup for a full production of a DVD from capture to burning?

Off topic: What's with putting M$ add links right under Linux articles?
tuxchick

Jan 24, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
OSWeekly was bought out a few months ago. It has changed considerably since its acquisition, and not for the better.
SFN

Jan 24, 2007
10:35 AM EDT
I do all of my capture in kino. It really is flawless for that.

For editing....

*wincing*

....I'm still dual booting this one box. Currently I'm using Ulead's MediaStudio. Up until I tried out this demo of MainActor I hadn't found anything that came close to it. I might add that goes for Premiere too. Premiere is an over-priced, unnecessarily complex, resource hog. One more thing to try before I switch from MediaStudio to MainActor. I'm going to try completely redoing the film I just made in MainActor. I want to be able to make an exact duplicate without much effort. Assuming all goes well, I'll make the switch.

I feel the need to say that I have nothing at all against Ulead. They make great products at what I consider to be a fair price. If they made their stuff for Linux, I'd be staying with them possibly for life.

For DVD creation I use QDVDauthor. It's kind of a pain but it does the trick. Again, Ulead has a very nice product in DVD Movie Factory. I just don't absolutely need it the way I have absolutely needed MediaStudio so I don't use it.

I try to make films that are more story-driven so I don't really require much in the way of effects. So that's pretty much my whole setup.

My one sweet acquisition as of late is a LaCie Firewire Lightscribe burner. That's been handy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!