Useful article

Story: Tips and Tricks for Linux Admins: The State of the TinyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
cr

Jan 24, 2007
7:07 PM EDT
Read and saved to disk for reference; thanks.

If you're looking for followups, here are some possibilities:

- the distro/versions some of those 'old geezers' swear by, and why, and for what hardware BogoMips-levels. The 2.2 kernel is pretty parsimonious on system RAM use, the 2.0 is moreso IIRC. Who still uses 'em and where? How?

- some of the jobs the old boxes/boards are given, and the tweaking needed to equip them for those tasks. Me, I'm interested in anybody who's using the old stuff to shove power tools around with stepper motors. Anybody got a good HPGL-to-motion converter? (I haven't yet managed to stuff a Dremel into my pen-plotter.) One hardware-intensive use among the many won't drive the solder-averse away, will it? Maybe get some lovely candids of naked kluge-wire-on-vectorboard to adorn the article.

- one example where an older box might do, and a trigger for brainstorming: it's time to look in on MisterHouse (http://www.misterhouse.net) and see how they're faring, how mighty its codebase has gotten, and what other successful Linux home-automation projects have been spawned among its adherents.
beirwin

Jan 25, 2007
9:19 AM EDT
Yes, very good review of the current state of Linux on small form-factor computers.

One quibble: those old *NIX geeks have a life, and they're the ultimate recyclers, which is a Good Thing (tm). :-)
cr

Jan 25, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
> they're the ultimate recyclers, which is a Good Thing (tm). :-)

Yup. Gleaners are Greeners.
tuxchick

Jan 25, 2007
12:10 PM EDT
> One quibble: those old *NIX geeks have a life, and they're the ultimate recyclers, which is a Good Thing (tm). :-)

Yeah, I just get tired of chasing them out of my barn, which has boxes of old parts going to back to the 80s. It gets old being awakened at 2am by triumphant cries of "Eureka! A whole box of pristine 256k 30-pin SIMMs!" :)

Thanks CR, that's some good ideas.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!