Wildly Unsuccessful atypical

Story: How not to release a live DVD gameTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
devnet

Jan 24, 2007
9:00 PM EDT
Oddly enough, this is not a typical experience with PCLinuxOS. For most users, things just work...as for AC97 sound...I'd say around 90% of distros pick this up out of the box now so I'm not sure what Joe's problem was there...I'd have to say that something on his system was giving him problems...

Perhaps it is like one reader commented...a problem with the way he had his hard disks and IDE/SATA devices setup? Not sure. I installed PCLOS on 8 different PC's in the past year...ranging from a Celeron 900 up to an AMD X2 3800 and not a single one of them, whether with onboard sound, ISA sound, or AC97 sound has given me a bit of a problem. Nor has an graphics driver caused me strife. I've played UT2K4 in each and every one of them :D

I prefer UT2k4 in Linux...it doesn't crash as much as it does in XPee.

Too bad Joe didn't have a good time with this. PCLinuxOS is really a fantastic distro IMHO. I've been trying and buying distros since 1995. It's the best I've found...ubuntu included.
jimf

Jan 24, 2007
9:34 PM EDT
You're always going to have someone who just can't get it working. And, of course that will be the guy to write a rather lame condemnation of the whole Distro...

Now that the Kanotix project is probably history, I'd agree that this is the best for new users. At least for the ones who will leave it more or less stock. The upcoming release of PCLOS promises to be a good one and helios has hinted that it will have some nice surprises. I guessed them right, but I ain't telling :D
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 24, 2007
10:04 PM EDT
> Now that the Kanotix project is probably history...

Kanotix has been treading water for some time now, Stefan leaving is going to be cathartic for them.

It will either re-energize and re-focus the remaining Dev's or kill Kanotix altogether.

I hope it doesn't, I think Kanotix is great. I have used it several times on machines that had seen better days.
jimf

Jan 25, 2007
12:36 AM EDT
> I hope it doesn't, I think Kanotix is great. I have used it several times on machines that had seen better days.

I'll second that Scott. You should try it on a more contemporary machine... just flies. It is/was the only one that was also entirely compatible with the Debian repos, giving the new user a great learning path. Best case would be if Kano and sidx both survive... we can hope.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!