Start with XP

Story: Wow, Bill, this thing is Defective!Total Replies: 6
Author Content
hiohoaus

Jan 25, 2007
2:48 PM EDT
I booted an ordinary XP workstation yesterday, and after whining about the startup time of Linux workstations I'm afraid I must repent.

It took about three minutes just to get to the login prompt, then another 5 to start a simple, base-line user with no special software. This 256MB machine was thrashing itself the whole time, for no obvious reason. I have Linux workstations at home which are older, smaller (1/10 of the clock speed and 128MB, in one case) and boot much faster.

What on earth is XP supposed to be doing? It's not starting services, multiple screens or anything.
jimf

Jan 25, 2007
3:03 PM EDT
> What on earth is XP supposed to be doing?

It's waiting for a pat on the head from Bill, he must verify 'that's a good dog'...
tuxchick

Jan 25, 2007
3:08 PM EDT
Typical commie hippies who don't care about the world economy. What's going on is botwars- when you boot up, all the malware that infests your box is duking it out for supremacy. Because bots are smart, and know you'll take action if they slow down system performance too much. So there is a bot deathmatch at every bootup, and only the strongest survive. Then they go into stealth mode so you don't kick them out. Just think of all the organized crime that will be put out of business if everyone switches away from windows. Think of the organized crime children, if the world economy does not matter to you.

I was trying for sarcasm, but as I re-read it this works fine straight.
jimf

Jan 25, 2007
3:21 PM EDT
Seriously, I remember this as an issue with W2K and XP that I ran into in a past life. I believe there is a registry hack that cures it, but I don't remember the details any more. Typical MS BS...
tuxchick

Jan 25, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
It's probably rebuilding its search index. Kind of like getting trapped in updatedb at Linux startup.
helios

Jan 25, 2007
8:20 PM EDT
like getting trapped in updatedb at Linux startup.

Ghosts of failed cron job's past. Kind of like slamming your fingers in a car door...you only have to do it once and you never forget it.
dcparris

Jan 25, 2007
9:55 PM EDT
I'll never forget how my 350MHz/128MB box running SUSE 8.0 Pro outran the 1.xx GHz W2K box at work. I forget the RAM for the Win box, but it had to be at least 265MB. I clocked the boot times for both, with the SUSE box hitting the login prompt a few seconds ahead of the W2K box. Even now, my 450MHz boxes running Debian rock. I don't know the exact cause. Is kernel32.exe on Lunesta or something?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!