What was the software package?

Story: Need Sunscreen? You'll Know When You Finish Here.Total Replies: 19
Author Content
dthacker

Jan 30, 2007
10:34 AM EDT
Does anyone know? I can't get through Helios's anti-spam measures to post a comment. DT
DarrenR114

Jan 30, 2007
10:38 AM EDT
I couldn't get through his anti-spam measures either - I figured it must be me ... but now I'm not so sure.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 30, 2007
12:10 PM EDT
It's not just you. It choked on me as well.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 30, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
Ken is out of town for a couple of days but I know that as soon as he gets himself in front of a computer he will get it fixed.

jimf

Jan 30, 2007
1:18 PM EDT
heh, maybe he just 'really' hates spam :D
techiem2

Jan 30, 2007
1:51 PM EDT
if from != myaddress then msg == spam

:)
helios

Jan 31, 2007
2:33 AM EDT
Hey all...I am working on it now. Had to go to Boise and points east. Note to self: avoid snow at all costs.

The spam filters are re-adjusted but I can't see where it was being a problem. is it offering you a code to type in? I know some people were not seeing any code although it reported it there to see.

The required software was "Microsoft Student" and a bundled edition of "Algebra Solved". From what I could tell, this was complete overkill. James Namson, a volunteer for L4L looked at the student requirements and the course requirements and discovered that Kalgebra would have been all that was needed to assist the student in the problems presented for that curriculum. That was the sad part about it. The part that kicked me was the fact that an actual Microsoft program was being pushed off on the kids.

h
DarrenR114

Jan 31, 2007
6:06 AM EDT
Ken,

Maybe I shouldn't have used the 'Preview' option. But it did give me a code to type in. A different code for the 3 different attempts. I did have a bit of trouble deciding whether I was seeing a 'K' or an 'X' and an 'O' or a 'D', so that may have my old age coming into play.
helios

Jan 31, 2007
3:27 PM EDT
Yep, me too Darren, the I's have it...unfortunately, my eyes no longer do. Even Bifocals are not gettin' 'er done anymore.

h
jimf

Jan 31, 2007
3:49 PM EDT
> I did have a bit of trouble deciding whether I was seeing a 'K' or an 'X' and an 'O' or a 'D', so that may have my old age coming into play.

It's an anti-spam part of the thing guys. Supposed to prevent an auto-reader from reading the letters. Unfortunately, It sometimes prevents us from doing the same :D
Sander_Marechal

Jan 31, 2007
11:46 PM EDT
That's why I don't use captcha's on my site. I use LinkSleeve and SpamHaus XBL on all links posted and on the sender of the comment, plus I close comments on articles older than 60 days. I'm virtually spam-free with maybe one or two spam comments a month getting through.
jdixon

Feb 01, 2007
3:37 AM EDT
> That's why I don't use captcha's on my site.

Take a look at KittenAuth. It's neat. http://www.thepcspy.com/kittenauth
Sander_Marechal

Feb 01, 2007
6:04 AM EDT
I've seen that before. Great stuff, but still very bad for accessibility.
tuxchick

Feb 01, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
Once again, it is demonstrated that shooting spammers on sight is the optimum solution.
jimf

Feb 01, 2007
9:02 AM EDT
> shooting spammers on sight is the optimum solution.

How about that, the same as for politicians ;-)..
DarrenR114

Feb 01, 2007
10:07 AM EDT
mmmmm.... spammers and politicians .... maybe it's not just a coincidence that our legislators have yet to pass anti-SPAM laws with teeth.
jimf

Feb 01, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
> maybe it's not just a coincidence that our legislators have yet to pass anti-SPAM laws with teeth.

Yeah, especially since the only other group I'd add to that list are Corporate Lobbyists. Guess we'll never get those anti-spam laws.
helios

Feb 02, 2007
3:10 AM EDT
Thanks for the options...I will look into them. When I was using WordPress, I was literally over run with spam postings and trying to control it was taking up way too much time. That's why Devnet migrated us over to Serendipity. I'm not crazy about the fact that this measure is necessary, and if called for a vote, I can hang out with the summary execution of above said entities.

maybe it's not just a coincidence that our legislators have yet to pass anti-SPAM laws with teeth.....

Darren, I think maybe in the future, your statement may prove to be more accurate than any of us are comfortable in believing.

h
jdixon

Feb 02, 2007
8:09 AM EDT
> > shooting spammers on sight is the optimum solution.

> How about that, the same as for politicians ;-)..

Nah, a two week a year hunting season with no limit would be sufficient for politicians. However, spammers are vermin, and should be treated accordingly.
dcparris

Feb 02, 2007
11:58 AM EDT
Well, my Pa and I used to go around and hunt groundhogs for local farmers. We would sometimes give the groundhogs to a poor family. Not sure who would take the spammers though - not sure there's enough tobasco sauce to kill the taste. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!