The DRM is worse than I would have thought

Story: Vista vs. Linux Hardware WarsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Feb 01, 2007
6:02 AM EDT
If SJVN's review is correct, then Vista's DRM is even worse than I would have guessed. I know from the Vista DRM cost analysis that S/PIF output would be disabled when "protected content" a.k.a. HD content was on the system. But in SJVN's case the S/PIF was disabled playing a regular, unprotected CD.

This is going to bite many people *hard*. Regular audio CD's are neither protected content (in the technical sense) nor premium content, and everyone expects to be able to play audio CD's on Vista since they have no DRM.
jsusanka

Feb 01, 2007
7:31 AM EDT
ya I noticed that too. - let's hope it is true -
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
I couldn't agree more. To run into problems not just "soon" but "immediately" is absurd.

I'm a Linux fanboy if there ever was one, I'm still glad that SJVN is giving Vista _and_ Mepis a fair treatment, warts and all.

I do wish he would give credit where credit is due, and say that KDE supplied the memory usage report, but for me to expect a Windows user to know the difference between the OS and the GUI is asking quite a bit.

Long have I said that Windows fans wouldn't bash Linux as "hard to install" if they had to install Windows. This is another proof of that axiom.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!