Russian schools thinking going linux after piracy scare

Story: Vista too taxing but Linux on agendaTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
henke54

Feb 06, 2007
7:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Rather than attacking mobsters who peddle pirated copies of Windows directly to companies, the Russian coppers decided to lock up a Sepich headmaster who bought hot Windows software which came from Perm region’s Capital Construction Administration.

Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37460
Sander_Marechal

Feb 06, 2007
7:47 AM EDT
Quoting:Praising Russia's enforcement of intellectual property rights, Microsoft sought to distance itself from the prosecution in a statement issued by the U.S. company's public relations agency in London. "Mr. Ponosov's case is a criminal case and as such was initiated and investigated by the public prosecutor's office in Russia," said Microsoft, whose European operations are based in Paris. "We are sure that the Russian courts will make a fair decision."

The company added: "We do respect the Russian government's position on the importance of protecting intellectual property rights."

And yes, the teacher is indeed facing 5 years imprisonment in a siberian prison camp over this. That wasn't an overstatement on The Inquirer's part :-/
henke54

Feb 06, 2007
7:58 AM EDT
yep...that's maffia$oft all the way.....

Quoting:The letter says the teacher bought the computers for the school with pre-installed software on them. But Russian piracy laws allow for punishment even for people who are unaware they are breaking the law.

It says: "Teachers, who dedicated their lives to bringing up their children and receiving for their work very modest remuneration, incomparable with incomes even staff your company shall be liable to imprisonment in the Siberian camps."

Microsoft rejected the call for clemency, telling the New York Times it had full confidence in the Russian courts.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/06/gorby_writes_to_gate...
tracyanne

Feb 06, 2007
12:26 PM EDT
I'm completely in favour of Microsoft pursuing and prosecuting software pirates, especially those that pirate Microsoft software, to the full extent of the law. In fact I think Microsoft should become even more proactive.

They should offer large bounties, set up or hire a large private detective agency, or agencies in each country that uses Microsoft software, and lobby governments for even more draconian punishments for software piracy. And they should go after the user of pirated software.
hchaudh1

Feb 06, 2007
12:47 PM EDT
Software politics aside, 5 years in Siberia! That's a bit much. Where our munificent overlord with a multi-billion dollar charitable fund when you need one.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 06, 2007
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting:They should offer large bounties, set up or hire a large private detective agency, or agencies in each country that uses Microsoft software

They already do that. It's called the BSA and they offer $20.000-$50.000 bounties to snitches.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39266018,00.ht... http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1987396,00.asp
tracyanne

Feb 06, 2007
6:51 PM EDT
I think we should all jolly well dobb in a pirate, in that case.
wattsne1999

Feb 07, 2007
4:41 AM EDT
Just switch to Linux and you will not have this problem. I do not support Microsoft in this at all. I switched to linux to get away from Micrsoft. People here forget in a third world Country. 100+ Dollars for software is more thenhalf of a familys take home pay for a month. Windows XP is over rated. I use only free software and it works great.
tracyanne

Feb 07, 2007
12:27 PM EDT
I'm actually advocating helping Microsoft prosecute pirates so that people will stop using Microsoft products, and look for alternatives, because it's just too damn scary to use Microsoft products. And if one can make a few dollars out of Microsoft on the way, well why not. I say turn up the screws, help Microsoft be really obnoxious.
jsusanka

Feb 07, 2007
5:34 PM EDT
"They should offer large bounties, set up or hire a large private detective agency, or agencies in each country that uses Microsoft software, and lobby governments for even more draconian punishments for software piracy. And they should go after the user of pirated software."

I totally agree and will do anything I can to enforce licenses of microsoft software.

I think they should go full force and really start applying the pressure.

this piracy really has go to stop before they go bankrupt and they really should be getting the most for the board of directors and the rest of the shareholders.
tuxchick

Feb 07, 2007
5:48 PM EDT
Law enforcement is the same everywhere- go after mean scary mobsters? No way. Nice foofy schoolteachers are much easier targets.
jdixon

Feb 08, 2007
5:09 AM EDT
> Nice foofy schoolteachers are much easier targets.

Not to mention that the mobsters have more money for payoffs.
wattsne1999

Feb 08, 2007
8:41 AM EDT
Microsoft go bankrupt due to piracy get real. The software is way over priced does not work well at all.
helios

Feb 09, 2007
2:24 AM EDT
"...Microsoft go bankrupt due to piracy get real. The software is way over priced does not work well at all. "

Someone didn't get the memo.

http://www.answers.com/topic/tongue-in-cheek
wattsne1999

Feb 16, 2007
5:13 AM EDT
Here is a update on this story. Below

Court smack down for Russian piracy epic Perspective regained By Gavin Clarke in San Francisco → More by this author Published Thursday 15th February 2007 21:11 GMT A tiny Russian software piracy case that ended up pitting Mikhail Gorbachev and Vladimir Putin against Bill Gates has been thrown out of court.

The judge in Perm, one of Russia's larger cities, dismissed the case against schoolteacher Alexander Ponosov as "trivial".

Ponosov, who told AP he was going to celebrate the dismissal by drinking champagne, was charged with either ordering or knowing of the installation of bootlegged copies of Windows and Office on 12 PCs. Prosecutors charged Ponosov with major copyright violations, causing damages of $10,000, but sought a mere $100 fine instead of seeking full recovery or the maximum five-year prison sentence

Russia is one of the largest centers for counterfeit software. Despite a decline in piracy in 2005, It still ranks number nine in the top 10 list of offenders, with 83 per cent of software being pirated, according to the BSA. Vietnam is top on 90 per cent.

The case gained notoriety after Mikhail Gorbachev, the last premier of the Soviet Union and Nobel Peace Prize winner, appealed personally to Microsoft's Bill Gates to "show mercy and withdraw the claims against Ponosov".

Vladimir Putin, Russian president Vladimir Putin took time out from lambasting US foreign policy last week to dismiss the case as "complete nonsense, simply ridiculous...The law recognizes the concept of someone who purchased the product in good faith," he said.

Microsoft distanced itself from the case by expressing its confidence that the Russian courts would "make a fair decision...Mr Ponosov's case is a criminal case and as such was initiated and investigated by the public prosecutor's office."

The case highlights Microsoft's difficulty in bringing the legal systems of former Eastern Bloc countries and emerging economies into line on piracy. Romanian president Traian Basescu recently told Gates to his face that software piracy had helped build his country's software industry. The irony is that pirated copies of Windows benefit Microsoft's overall strategy of excluding Linux from desktops and servers. ®
tuxchick

Feb 16, 2007
5:21 AM EDT
Yaaay! For once, sanity prevails, sheesh. And Gates is still a ****head.
jezuch

Feb 16, 2007
2:41 PM EDT
Sanity in Russia? That's something new... ;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!