jimf

Feb 07, 2007
9:33 AM EDT
Did they say which March?

The one when it's ready, of course :)
DarrenR114

Feb 07, 2007
9:46 AM EDT
March? Who's marching? Where are they marching to? Is that with or without full-pack?

Oh... I'm sorry ... you obviously meant the March Hare.
jimf

Feb 07, 2007
9:49 AM EDT
> the March Hare

Yeah, I think he's one of the major Debian Dev's :D
jdixon

Feb 07, 2007
11:43 AM EDT
> the March Hare...

Are you sure we're not talking about a white rabbit here (I'm late, I'm late).
DarrenR114

Feb 07, 2007
11:48 AM EDT
Everything will be ok as long as it doesn't all just disappear down a big hole.
swbrown

Feb 07, 2007
9:40 PM EDT
The issue is psychological I think -

- A RC bug fix only had a purpose if that RC bug would have persisted into the release and not been overwritten by a new upstream version.

- If you find and fix an RC bug that wouldn't have persisted into the release, as far as the release process goes, you've wasted time.

- So people feel like they should only find and fix RC bugs when they would be persisting into release, which is just before a release when everything freezes.

Net result, the majority of testing is delayed until right before a release, and the mass filing of RC bugs delays the release.

The only thing I've run into that I consider serious is that the installer doesn't set up dmraid ('fakeraid' - really no reason to use it over Linux's software raid unless you are dual booting to Windows) so it's unnecessarily annoying to install on such a setup. Unfortunately, support for dmraid is considered a new feature rather than a bug so is being delayed to after Etch's initial release.
jimf

Feb 07, 2007
9:44 PM EDT
Many of the people I know are already running etch for server duty, and virtually all of them are running it for desktop use.
incinerator

Feb 08, 2007
6:33 AM EDT
The only thing annoying about the long freeze is that so many new and updated packages will stay stuck in experimental until the freeze is over. No kde 3.5.6. in sid so far :-(
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 08, 2007
8:12 AM EDT
>No kde 3.5.6. in sid so far :-(

You right, I am using 'testing' and I am running KDE 3.5.5

With Jim's help I installed and updated to Debian testing on my new machine. Thank You Jim.

I still have a few things to do to it but for the most part, its done. All I really want is my KOffice and some codec's and I will be a happy man.
jimf

Feb 08, 2007
8:19 AM EDT
> will stay stuck in experimental until the freeze is over. No kde 3.5.6. in sid so far :-(

If you're that unhappy about it.... A fine time to take a walk on the wild side :D

I don't usually run many apps from experimental, but truthfully, 3.5.6 seems to be more stable than 3.5.5.
jdixon

Feb 08, 2007
10:19 AM EDT
> No kde 3.5.6. in sid so far :-(

You could also compile from the source, use checkinstall to create a .deb package, and install that.
jimf

Feb 08, 2007
10:40 AM EDT
Jdixon,

If you're running Debian, i think the repo is:

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ experimental main

Paste that into /etc/apt/sources.list , and you're good to go.
jdixon

Feb 08, 2007
11:22 AM EDT
> If you're running Debian

I'm the lone Slackware user, remember. :)
jimf

Feb 08, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
Sorry, no help to you then :(
tuxchick

Feb 08, 2007
11:26 AM EDT
The way things are going, Debian, Fedora, gNewSense, and Ututo are the only Free distributions left, since Ubuntu and Linspire just got married:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7103672739.html
jimf

Feb 08, 2007
11:43 AM EDT
> The way things are going

Well yeah, the inclusion of proprietary binaries is a real problem, but one that does have some hope with the release of source by Intel, and the development of other free drivers. I have a lot of hope for that.

It's off point, but I'm starting to see software patents to be the #1 threat to our freedoms and not the other issues being touted. I've got to thank some of the people on LXer for pointing that out to me. It's really a problem that could shut everyone down, and it can't be addressed in any licensing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!