BBC And Microsoft

Story: Is the BBC Perpetuating the Microsoft Monopoly?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
zenarcher

Feb 09, 2007
5:36 AM EDT
As a former news editor, working several years in southern Africa, BBC was and remains one of my favorite news sources. Having read this story the other day, I did lodge a complaint with the BBC through their website. I would hope that others who feel this is wrong will do the same. The more awareness we can raise, the better the chance that BBC will think about their actions.
Iain

Feb 09, 2007
5:42 AM EDT
I already complained to Ofcom.
purplewizard

Feb 09, 2007
5:59 AM EDT
The silly thing is that anyone with a video recorder/player (for the time being) will be able to get the superior service that they have always had. They can tape it and illegally hand the tape to others to watch. From that tape the whole program can of course be turned into a digital copy and distributed widely.

In short they are applying an unfair crippling approach that doesn't close the holes it is presumably meant to cover.
salparadise

Feb 09, 2007
10:59 PM EDT
I put in an official complaint to the BBC last year about an article they published "predicting the year ahead in technology". The BBC had two of it's own people plus one person from Microsoft. I complained that this was blatant bias and lopsided reporting and that it sent the message that if it wasn't Microsoft, then it wasn't real technology. I haven't heard a word from them. Not even a "we got your communication and are looking into it".

Forget the BBC as source of anything other than lies, propaganda and bias. They are a lifestyle propaganda machine, by and large, these days. Their news reporting is low standard, if it's a story that might scare you it's repeated and regurgitated endlessly with all the gory details repeated over and over. If it's a story about corporate greed, government corruption etc, then all of a sudden the details are sparse and the reporting brief. They have not called the governments bluff over it's lies regarding Iraq, Iran, US policy, Afghanistan etc. They seem to have adopted a cap in hand, fawning attitude where they are pitifully grateful when the rich or famous stoop to speak to them.

The BBC execs should be made to sit and watch Goodnight and Goodluck repeatedly till they get the message.

The job of the media is not to follow humbly behind politicians eager for any glance or word from them. Its job is to stand in front of the politicians and DEMAND an accounting of policy and behaviour. Politicians HAVE to be made to squirm periodically or they start to believe their own spin.

richo123

Feb 10, 2007
6:13 AM EDT
Wow sal you obviously don't live in the US. The media here is much worse than the bbc: I know because I have been reduced to watching only it (bbc) on cable here. My summary:

Network News: Infotainment based around a cult of the newsreader CNN: Ratings driven sensationalism. Extremely repetitive Fox News: Tass for the Right Comedy Central: Fake news but at least it is entertaining.
jsusanka

Feb 10, 2007
1:16 PM EDT
the news is a joke in the US - it is bought and paid for and journalism isn't done unless it helps the bottom line.
jdixon

Feb 10, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
> the news is a joke in the US - it is bought and paid for and journalism isn't done unless it helps the bottom line.

Or unless there's a political agenda. At which point even making up your stories is acceptable. :(
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 10, 2007
4:51 PM EDT
Quoting:Comedy Central: Fake news but at least it is entertaining.

The Daily Show does not sell fake news. They actually tell you things about what is going on that would never be shown on a "real" newscast. The Daily Show just makes fun of it, that's not fake news.

Fake news is what you get on CNN and FOX. Why tell you the truth when they can pile the BS so high you can't tell the difference.
jimf

Feb 10, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
> The Daily Show does not sell fake news.

Yeah, most times the only ones who give you even a glimmer of the real truth. Unfortunately, even they seem fooled by Billie and his MS minions. Like most Americans, they are clueless that there's a far better solution called Linux out there.
richo123

Feb 11, 2007
5:37 AM EDT
Scott,

I was using Jon Stewart's description of his own show. I agree if you see the show through the lens of satire it is quite revealing about the political process here. One journalist who was on the show (Mike Wallace?) did say however that in the old days he could talk about serious stuff without having to be funny (i.e. entertaining).

I should add that the Jim Lehrer Show on PBS isn't too bad......

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!