priorities out of whack

Story: Intel, Novell Deliver Virtualization Windows Drivers to LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 13, 2007
11:16 AM EDT
I've never heard anyone say "gee, what linux really needs is the ability to run virtual windoze server more seamlessly" (yawn - who cares?) I'd much rather they had taken that $300 million from microsoft and actually done something useful with it.

Providing e.g. legal, out-of-the-box DVD viewing capability on SLED would be a nice start, a show of of good faith as it were - and why not provide for legal, out-of-the-box capability for all multimedia codecs of interest while we're at it?

Novell, talking to key vendors and helping them port popular commercial apps to linux would be *much* more useful to me that some silly microsoft virtualization agreements that I have no use for, and will never benefit from.

Sorry, but I don't see *any* benefit to linux users from the microsoft agreement so far. In the immortal words of Clara Peller, "Where's the beef?"

jsusanka

Feb 13, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
totally agree herzeleid - I mean why would I want to take a product that I can deploy everywhere without fear of licenses, lawyers, or the bsa police and put a product on it that I have to keep track of licenses and licenses for the applications I add on top.

again the only company/people that are going to benefit out of this deal are in redmond and their names starts with an m.
nalf38

Feb 14, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
I think that view is somewhat shortsighted. Virtualization is only going to blur the lines between operating systems. When the next iteration of Windows and the current versions of Linux allow you to run all your various legacy OSes and apps on one system, and Windows Vista costs buttloads of money and Linux is free (not to mention that Linux can offer the same cool toys and gadgets for less CPU usage), what are you going to choose?

Being able to run your legacy Windows apps on Linux is a boon, not a burden. It's the first step to transitioning to Linux for people who haven't been using Linux since they were still sucking their thumbs.

It would be nice if all software were free and non-proprietary and everyone saw the obvious benefit in that, but we have to start somewhere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!