Author Content
jsusanka

Feb 14, 2007
11:25 AM EDT
I would like to seem them buy novell
Abe

Feb 14, 2007
11:32 AM EDT
I think it is time for IBM to buy a Linux company. They have invested $50 millions in Novel when it purchased Suse. It make sense to for IBM to buy them. Then again, Novell is tainted by the MS deal.
purplewizard

Feb 14, 2007
12:26 PM EDT
Last year they spent $3.6 billion according to the story. Current Novell market value $2 billion (on Forbes). With IBM at $148 billion. $2 billion just seems a stretch.
tuxchick

Feb 14, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
Why would they want Novell?
Abe

Feb 14, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
Quoting:Why would they want Novell?
May be to revoke the latest contract with MS! Wouldn't that be nice!
swbrown

Feb 14, 2007
8:46 PM EDT
If they bought Novell now, they'd be inheriting the requirement to make royalty payments to Microsoft for selling SUSE which I think IBM would rather die first than do considering their attitude towards Microsoft. If they were thinking of that, I think it'd be more likely they'd just hire away Novell's staff to develop OpenSUSE.
jdixon

Feb 15, 2007
5:22 AM EDT
If they wanted to buy a Linux distributor, they'd probably go for Mandriva, which they could probably get a lot cheaper than Novell. It's also a pure Linux play, unlike Novell, which has a large legacy operation to support.
DarrenR114

Feb 15, 2007
5:30 AM EDT
swbrown,

Don't forget that IBM is still making payments to MS - IBM maintains an ownership share in Lenovo, which took over IBM's PC business. Lenovo still pays MS for the copies of MS-Windows it puts on the PCs.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!